General offside drive shaft ? (cv boot replacement)

Currently reading:
General offside drive shaft ? (cv boot replacement)

hi folks, there is what looks like some kind of weight thing on the offside drive shaft on my cinq, i dont know what its called and to be honest i dont know what it does either and its getting in the way of me taking the cv boot off. Tried removing it but screws are rusted in. i have used a few different methods of trying to get them out but was unsuccesful so my last resort is going medevil on it and get rid of it that way, only thing is im not sure if it is needed and if i go try and get one from the scrappies then i feel i may be faced with the whole screws rusted in again.

does anyone know if it is needed, what it is called and what it does.

cheers gregor

It is a vibration damper, the shaft is long enough to twist in vibration, like a crankshaft... I not remove it...

Noel

No i didmy few months back took 20 minutes to do the job, warm the boot up inhot water and it will pull over the damper and other obsructions.

well i have already taken out the drive shaft just to giv myself more space to work. how do i get the boot on as the cv joint and the damper is in the way DSC00388.JPG
and damper screws are rusted in so am kinda screwed there lol

Last edited:
iv been looking over the cv joint and i cant find any circlip like and iv tryed stretching it over but its pretty hard and its starting to annoy me a little can you point me in the right direction of the circlip cause i cant see one like bearing in mind that it is the side that goes in to the hub

ye man boiled the kettle put the boot in a basson and had it in the boiling water for about a minute 30 then tryed it but didnt happen so decided to steal a driveshaft of one of my other cinqs made life so much easier but thanks so much for the help i will put the boot on the other drive shaft when i dont feel so annoyed with it lol

cheers gregor

Back