General K&N 57i on a 1.2 8V?????????????

Currently reading:
General K&N 57i on a 1.2 8V?????????????

Hi Ive got a 1.2 8V and I fitted a K&N 57i to it, I noticed an increase in power and noise:).
Now on here I'm being told that they actually reduce the BHP by 2/3.
Is this true? Are you sure? Why does it feel faster?

The filter is better fed with dense cold air, and breaths easier cause of the special fibers they use, and it will definatley stay cooler on longer journeys.
Obviously I think it does the job, and well.
What do you think?
All opinions and facts welcome..

Why will it definately stay cooler on long journeys? It feeling faster is the placebo effect, its got louder so it makes you think its faster when its not.

The reason they loose power is because it is sat on top of the throttle body soaking up all the hot air that comes off the engine. This in turn reduces your power as the engine is running off hot air. Put as many cold air feeds to it as you want with random pipes they wont make that much/if any difference.

Why will it definately stay cooler on long journeys? It feeling faster is the placebo effect, its got louder so it makes you think its faster when its not.

The reason they loose power is because it is sat on top of the throttle body soaking up all the hot air that comes off the engine. This in turn reduces your power as the engine is running off hot air. Put as many cold air feeds to it as you want with random pipes they wont make that much/if any difference.

It will definately stay cooler because of airflow on a moving car is different from airflow on a car sitting in the same place being revved. ;)

Heat convection can only efficiently happen in still air. Remove the still air and only heat radiation is left for the transport of heat across gaps, which is much less of a problem than convection.

Of course I'm sure I'll be jumped on for saying it will be cooler. When all I'm saying is it won't be the same and I am not saying it will give a 10bhp increase.

I just don't get why so few people route there own induction kits. It's easy, cheaper than buying a prebuilt one and much more rewarding.

I just don't get why so few people route there own induction kits. It's easy, cheaper than buying a prebuilt one and much more rewarding.

Hi. Route their own, is this like moving the performance air filter to a better location. cos theres loads of space on a 1.2, I mean loads of space. acers and acers on the left of the engine. :)
I thought heat reflecters could be usefull around the K&N. I dont know how much gain I would achieve though. Maybe not worth it!!

Hi. Route their own, is this like moving the performance air filter to a better location. cos theres loads of space on a 1.2, I mean loads of space. acers and acers on the left of the engine. :)
I thought heat reflecters could be usefull around the K&N. I dont know how much gain I would achieve though. Maybe not worth it!!

this would be a gsr:
IMGP3117.JPG

the hose runs from the air intake down to infront of the drivers side wheel arch where it has a cone filter similar to the k&n

Back