Technical Rear drum removal

Currently reading:
Technical Rear drum removal

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Right, Ive just recently renewed my rear shoes and linkages.

Ive just whipped off the drums earlier to give them a slight roughening as they were a bit glazed...The passengers side came real easy...no problems at all...no rubbage on rotation, the drivers side isnt co operating at all.:(

There is a slight rub on this side, but that is only very slight. But I just cant get the drum off...it just wont pop over the wheel bearing.

I know one side has a non-Fiat wheelbearing (its round without the holes for the friction adjusters), and I think it may be that one.

Anyone got any clever ideas on how I can extricate the drum from the car?

Last time I had that problem, I removed the parking brake cable and then i could remove the drum, but i can be a problem..

You could always use a small hammer to tap the edge of the drum as sometimes the drums sticks itself to the hub and just giving it a little tap can help it free off.

Tap one side of the drum and then the over, start at the top and them tap the bottom, do this a couple of times each and then tap the right of the drum and then the left, this generally frees the drum right off.

I hope this help you out this is what I had to do with my old drums as one of them just wouldn't come off just like you described.

Brian

Schveet... Iwas gonna use the wood and hanmmer approach anyway if there wasnt a better idea. I would use a 3 leg puller, but i need to do it today, and my local frauds closes in 5 mins, any all other sources are closed!

Use 'universal adjusting tool mark 1' and hit the drum on to the bearing while spinning it round. This should shock it off the hub. When refitting, a small quantity of copper grease between the drum and hub should stop the build up of corrosion between the two.

Cheers

D

Heheehe at "universal adjusting tool mk1". Nice one :D

I knocked it off with a rubber hammer.
Strangely, The handbrake's worse than it was before i roughened the drums (I can spin the passenger side easily with a wheelbrace!)

That side that had the rub has no rub now, but the handbrakes crap... Im thinking ive just knocked the friction adjusters in too much. Am I \ is my logic right? Is this just a case to do the "MWC Handbrake Procedure" - that being slam the brakes on and the handbrake on just prior to stopping?

Last edited:
Back