Technical ECU or Throttle Body!!!!!!

Currently reading:
Technical ECU or Throttle Body!!!!!!

hgtarg

Hi,
I've got a problem with my MK2 05 1.8 HGT Punto.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving along when the car just lost all power and started beeping. I've gone through and checked all the usual bits (even had a few suggestions from other forum members) - nothing worked.

Got a guy round to have a look and I've got two fault codes

PO638 Motorized Throttle Circuit
PO120 Throttle Value Position

Now, do I take it that the fly by wire throttle body is knackered or is it the ECU with some problem??? If it's the throttle body can I just replace it (£150 form a scrap yard or £400 used from a dealer) or will it need reprogramming.

HELP!!!!! I've got a big posh meeting on Tuesday about 100 miles down the mway!!!!

hi there i work for fiat maindealer i reccomend taking it to a fiat garage as they would have todo a few check the throttle body ecu is very common fault always changing them but its not worth the risk buying one thing and its the other you will find in the long run it could be chaper taking to a fiat garage

many thanks paul

That's what I'd normally do, but I've lost total respect for my local dealer. This problem sort of started back in November, I went to the main dealer (£80) and he said it was the ECU (£600). I pushed him on this and he said "we'll change the ECU but if that doesn't fix it we'll change the Throttle body".

I'm not impressed. The other problem I've got is the 2 main dealers in my area are 20 - 25 miles away - and they don't come out or recover.

The last time this happened (Nov) I had an ex Fiat mechanic take a look. He's 100% convinced it's not the ECU (Hitachi) and got the thing running fine.

Back