Technical Spark plugs need replacing every year????

Currently reading:
Technical Spark plugs need replacing every year????

roadster1_98

Whats that all about????

I assume it's to do with emissions???

that will be one reason why the service cost is so high.

Does the 1.2 engine in the 500 also get used in the Panda?

the reason I ask is Panda's (petrol) only require the plugs changed every two years.

It's a simple reason really.

The Panda is on 12k intervals, with the plugs getting changed at 24k (or every 2 years).

The 500 is on 18k intervals, so going on the "replace every two years" requirement, the plugs wouldn't get changed until 36,000 miles which may affect the engine running (and more importantly these days- the emissions).

I'm with Murano on this. Modern electrics, modern engine management & variable fuel injection mean that plugs will last 40 - 50,000 miles with no significant wear.

My MR2 (1991 convertible), owned for 2 years before me by a friend, used by me for 3 years, before selling it back to said friends son, is still on the same set of plugs as when he originally bought it & each time it has had a service, the various garages used have reported the plugs back as 'like new' without any adjustment required...

Compared with my MK3 cortina that had new plugs & points at every 2000 mile service, because they looked knackered... sounds like a way to get the service costs up... I'd certainly ask to see the old ones as I can't believe any mechanic worth his salt would throw away perfectly servicable bits...

If you ask, most Dealers will happily let you have the old parts if you want them.

But you have to remember that whether they look and test-out all ok or not, the customer has asked for a service to be carried out to the manufacturer's specification and therefore if Fiat say 'replace the plugs', that's what the Techs have to do.

Granted the technology and materials used now mean the life of the components is much longer, and in the right conditions they can last more than 18/24,000 miles, but you have to remember the far-stricter emission laws that exist now, and Fiat have a duty to ensure their vehicle will meet those limits, so they limit the plug life to 18k on the 500 as they must have found issues in testing (however rare) with them reaching 36k and still passing the MOT.

Just had 1st service, as I have only done 6500 miles I opted for the low mile service at £120 compared with normal one at £248, the only difference they said was they didnt change the spark plugs..........lot of money for a set of spark plugs????

i;ve just had mine serviced today - also opted for the 'low mileage' service as told plugs not needed as done less than 10000 miles in the year.

£125 extra though for same service with spark plugs - I'm in the trade and really feel that these service schedules and costs are a hell of a con!

Back