General starter motor problem

Currently reading:
General starter motor problem

pinkdolphin113

ive just stalled my mk2 when i was parking (loud music was the fault) and when i turned the key, the car didnt start again!
i turned the music down and tried it again...just to hear a loud high pitched noise.
i have no idea how starter motors work (im working on this now though) but it sounds as though something it spinning but not catching something properly...if that makes sense :shrug:
i have no idea where its positioned either so a picture would be great :D

does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?
and if so, am i gonna have to get someone to have a look at it or is it something i could do myself?

thanks.

Try putting car in gear, release handbrake & sitting in car roll or rock car forward & back, it may be a sticky clutch in starter motor, then try to start car.

yea, i'll try rocking the car in the morning.
will the car bump start if the starter motor is broken?
the annoying thing about bump starting is that i dont live on a hill!!

thanks for the advice!

Yeh it will still bump start but bump starting isnt all that good for the cat as fuel is flooded into it causing it to overheat once you get going.

hummmmm...well if the rocking thing doesnt work, thats my only option to get it to a garage :(

i did fix it myself! after about 20 minutes of searching, i found a 3 bolt starter motor held "in place" by one bolt. the bolt wasn't even all the way in either!
i managed to find a bolt the same size and fix it on properly and now the car starts fine. just the bloody release bearing has gone now :bang:

Back