Technical Handbrake adjustment

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake adjustment

tonym911

Sorry if this is on an existing thread, I had a look and tried the Search function but it put me somewhere I wasn't expecting to be. I'd like to adjust the handbrake on our daughter's new (to her) Mk 1 Punto 60 S, using Haynes manual, oh dear :devil:. It appears to be a classic case of inside-out design. Am I doing this wrong or am I really supposed to grip and turn the wrong end of a threaded bolt (which I can't see) with pliers (which won't fit under there) while holding a locknut (which I also can't see) with an O-ring spanner (which won't go on there)? At present the h/b doesn't have any effect at three-click position, it needs to be at a 10 or 11 o'clock angle to hold the car. The two cables are of substantially different lengths, with the connecting bar at a fairly radical angle (is that normal?). I've given up and am gonna book the car in for a full brake service anyway but I'd just be interested to know how I might be able to do this in the future. :confused:

When I adjusted my h/brake on my Mk1, I used a deep socket, there was no lock nut to be seen...
The information given in the Haynes is wrong.....
Its just a case of tightening up said nut with long socket, that's what I used.

Thanks for this Jimboy, wonder why Haynes get it so wrong so often? Given that Haynes says turn the bolt anti-clock, does that mean you turn the nut clockwise to tighten up the adjustment?

Last edited:
Thanks for this Jimboy, wonder why Haynes get it so wrong so often? Given that Haynes says turn the bolt anti-clock, does that mean you turn the nut clockwise to tighten up the adjustment?
Yes turn clockwise.......
Every now & again Haynes get it wrong, obviously human like the rest of us;)
Things become clear in this case, as you view the h/brake set up(y)
No big deal, but a bit of a fanny about without the long socket though:D
Happy motoring Tony:cool:

Just make sure you dont over tight it as it could cause it to either break or be defective.. :)

Back