Technical Disconnected Rear Screen Washer Pipe

Currently reading:
Technical Disconnected Rear Screen Washer Pipe

mjs4x4

The rear screen washer does not work on our 500 - on investigation a pipe is disconnected in the engine compartment on the bulkhead. When the rear screen washer is activated water just sprays down the bulkhead - very useful!!!

Anybody had the same experience and managed to reconnect it - it looks pretty inaccessible?

Mike

I'd get a dealer to do it, if it's easy they can do it while u wait, and if there are any further problems it's down to them since you haven't fiddled with it.

HI MJS

Mine had exactly the same fault.

There must be a connector block under the N/S washer jet but to access it you need to remove the wiper arms and front scuttle panel.

I got the dealer to do mine for me whilst it was in for repairs including new front washer jets.

I'd get the dealer to do it. At least then when they process the warranty claim, it will highlight a repetitive claim which may lead to a redesign of the pipework?

Matthew

There must be a connector block under the N/S washer jet but to access it you need to remove the wiper arms and front scuttle panel.

I got the dealer to do mine for me whilst it was in for repairs including new front washer jets.

Its at centre of bulkhead and bit fiddly to get too so best removing bulkhead panel aswell, a hour should cover it including securing the pipe to prevent fault repeating itself.

Dad had this problem too, seems pretty common, had it done at the dealer.

It had disconnected somewhere along the middle of the car and needed things taken out/off to fix so he let them do it.

Hmmmm funny mine went in exactly the same place (thanks to mrs omad for that one!) the boss operated the washer's in all that freezing weather we have had of late.

But yeah you need to have the scuttle panel removed to make the repair, you will find the plastic pipe snapped off from the joiner, and well i had a A-TEAM moment when it came to repairing it. lol but hey it works....

The pipe don't snapped off, its a push fit & due to the pressure (like when washers are frozen) the pipe is forced off......suppose you could see it as a relief valve/fuse if you want. Better than most cars where the joins are inside the car resulting in wet carpets:(

Sorry T but i beg to differ.

Mine and serveral other 500's ive looked at of late have been the same way, the very end of the plastic pipe with the rubber sleeve inside is left on the joiner, and the rest of the plastic is left floating around, And you have to mod it because the internal diamter of the plastic pipe that's left is a lot larger than the external diamter of the joiner.

Although i would much prefer it if that was the case T, it would save faffing around with a repair. (y)

:cry: I've just been charged £50 to get this sorted by the supplying dealer - the one with the yellow window sticker bearing the man with the knighthood's name. This also included replacement of 3 bulbs for the heater controls (intermittent fault on the left half of the panel).

Disappointingly, this was NOT covered by the warranty although they've said that replacement of the noisy heater fan is a "maybe" for being repaired under the 3rd year of warranty. However, as they've had to order the part(!), I've to go back again next week to get it done.

They must surely have been aware that the fan would have to be replaced when I booked the car in - this is a known problem after all. :bang:

Last edited:
Sorry T but i beg to differ.

Mine and serveral other 500's ive looked at of late have been the same way, the very end of the plastic pipe with the rubber sleeve inside is left on the joiner, and the rest of the plastic is left floating around, And you have to mod it because the internal diamter of the plastic pipe that's left is a lot larger than the external diamter of the joiner.

Although i would much prefer it if that was the case T, it would save faffing around with a repair. (y)

If the connector has broken it must of been 'physically' broken by something, wouldn't happen because of frozen jets/washers.

:cry: I've just been charged £50 to get this sorted by the supplying dealer - the one with the yellow window sticker bearing the man with the knighthood's name. This also included replacement of 3 bulbs for the heater controls (intermittent fault on the left half of the panel).

Disappointingly, this was NOT covered by the warranty although they've said that replacement of the noisy heater fan is a "maybe" for being repaired under the 3rd year of warranty. However, as they've had to order the part(!), I've to go back again next week to get it done.

They must surely have been aware that the fan would have to be replaced when I booked the car in - this is a known problem after all. :bang:

heater fan is covered under 3rd year.

Back