Technical Security Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Security Failure

2003 Stilo JTD Multiwagon

Car cut out whilst driving yesterday with what I suspected was water in the under bonnet fuse box. When I tried to re-start it, the red engine management light didn't come on (not even for it's few seconds test cycle) but the yellow glow plug light stayed on permanently, the yellow code light came on, then flashed twice, then stayed on and there was ASR, ESP, Loose Connection, Security Failure and Spanner warnings.

One of the 2 injection relays (T09 in the under bonnet fuse box) was buzzing but if I removed and refitted it, the buzzing stopped and the car would start and drive for about 30 seconds before cutting out again. Managed to get the car home 30 seconds at a time by continually removing and refitting the relay. (was only 2 miles but oh what fun that was).(n)

I took the fuse box off the car and dismantled it but couldn't find any water. When I refitted it today, the car starts and drives OK with no warnings. Diagnostic showed:

U1600 - Electronic key-immobiliser system fault (Key not recognised)
P0703 - Brake Switch
U1706 - CAN NCM-NFR (Engine Management ECU - Brake ECU)

Don't you just hate it when a fault seems to cure itself and you don't know what it was or if it will occur again.

Anyway, for future reference, is there any specific meaning for when the yellow code light comes on then flashes twice then stays on? Searching the forum I found 2 posts from 2006, 2007 with exactly the same sequence but there was no answer to them.

Dave.

Back