Technical MK2 power steering light

Currently reading:
Technical MK2 power steering light

mcjacko1987

Proof it cn be done cheep
a common problem and the day after i baught my second hand punto the power steering whent :mad: 7months on the garage are still waiting for the part.they did the test and they said i need a new power steering.but my puntos being wierd, the power steering comes on at times.and its brill.then when i put the engine on again the power steering can go off.so it ither came on or off when i started the car.but now if its on at times only when im stopped and do a full steer itl turn off.so do i need a whole new power steering or does this sound like a loose wire? because i cant see the ecu on the power steering reading one minuite and then not the next. the garage i baught it from are taking the ****.as its been 7months wait for them to say theyv got the part.they seem to be wanting to get a second hand one as when i said how quick will you get it off fiat they said quick but will be expensive.but still shouldnt they get it from there as it was within the warrenty? any help or opinions will be verry usefull and i will be greatfull for any help.
thanks, jack

You have answered your own question, you know the garage are being a waste of space, its not fiats fault that your garage wont cough up to buy a new unit. It depends what the fault is but alot of the time the torque sensors are the cause and they are internal and cannot be serviced seperately. Any terminal being loose could cause other fault codes to be recorded.

You have answered your own question, you know the garage are being a waste of space, its not fiats fault that your garage wont cough up to buy a new unit. It depends what the fault is but alot of the time the torque sensors are the cause and they are internal and cannot be serviced seperately. Any terminal being loose could cause other fault codes to be recorded.

so i do need a whole new power steering coloum then?i thort it may have been some loose wires with it coming on and off.its such a wind up just waiting so f*****g long for it.think they trying to just let it blow over tbh.theyv said if i can find the part for about £100 then they will give me the money and get there garage to fit it.but it should be there job to do that.

You probably do need a new column but how on earth do you expect anyone to be able to diagnose if its an electrical fault or a column by reading a description on a pc? Your garage are a waste of space and obviously are trying to fob you off, if you want a second opinion take it to a dealer, get them to print out the examiner report, and quote for the job that is required, take it to the garage you bought the car from and ask them to rectify it or you will report them to trading standards.

if it did go to traiding standerds what would the chances of it sucseeding as its now 7months gone and the warrente is only 3months.the garage i baught it from uses a local mechanich garage nearbuy and the took the power steering reading.but say it hase to have a sertain ecu part number or something on it as it cant be any power steering colum even if its from the same car.im not botherd obout not having power steering but when it is on and when i do full lock it turnes off i just feer it may get worse and could just turn off or even on when im on the motorway.i just cant see it takin 7months for the part even if they have to have a sertain number.thanks for your reply

Back