Quick Question-Basic Wash

Currently reading:
Quick Question-Basic Wash

Ok I have used the search function and found a lot of useful stuff. But before I go spending money I just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

1.Wash (called pre wash on some threads I've read)
-Do all dirtier areas first or with different stuff.
-First Rinse
-Then Shampoo-two buckets and wash mitt, from what I have read you can't go wrong when buying shampoo as long as you use common sense.
-Then Dry-Good quality cloth with a little detailer.

2.Clay
-Bilt Hamber soft clay with a water lube.

3.Re Wash.
-As in step one but no detailer when drying.

4. ???
-Bilt Hamber Auto Balm seems to be the next step -paint clenser filler and sealant all in one.

I realise you probably answer these questions every day, but I have grown up in a house where car wash means half an hour - hose it down, one bucket with a bit of shampoo and yellow sponge hose it down again, and that's it.

Also how often does this need doing, from what I have read step 1 is weekly, then doing all of the above bi-monthly (sp?).

Last bit. After having a look round the shed I found an AA Car buffer and T-Cut but I can't really make sense of what these are for as whenever they are mentioned the above washing procedure does not seem to be involved. Obviously the buffer is for buffering but when using what product, I can't see it fitting into any of what I have described. T-Cut seems to be for restoring paint work but in what scenario i.e. after it has been washed, waxed and sealed, or before, whole car or affected areas?

Thanks for your help.

p.s. sorry I know i said quick question but I got carried away

p.p.s. If it's relevant I am talking about my black cinq. Doesn't seem to have any excessively worn paint anywhere, it's dirty a.t.m. but I'm to blame for that, I have persuaded myself it's not worth doing as the rain will just make it dirty again.

there is no need to use quick detailer if your going to clay the car but on a weekly wash it can help preserve the shine..

pre wash is exactly that it removes the thickest of the grime

other than that your sorted in your proposed method

I wouldn't bother using the t-cut unless your planning on polishing out scratches and if your car is clear coated it'll make a mess (unless you finish off with a finer polish)

Bilt Hamber have a discount pack
including shampoo, clay and autobalm (pay the £1 extra and get the soft clay its much easyier to work with in the cold)

oh and leave the AA buffer in the shed you'd be better by hand (Unless you go out and invest in a proper machine polisher)

i start be cleaning the roof then glass then bonnet then sides down to about 1/2 way then boot lid then finnish off the lowers and bumpers (where most of the dirt tends to be)

Last edited:
Back