General Swiss snow and the Panda Cross

Currently reading:
General Swiss snow and the Panda Cross

Etienne Botes

I am sure many of you must be tired by now of your "friend in Switzerland" proudly talking of the Panda Cross in snow.

Well today we are having record snow here. I ventured out a bit and saw A LOT of cars slip and sliding about on the roads. Including larger 4x4 SUV's.

I saw something interesting: a VW Golf going up a steep incline slipping and sliding all over the place. The Golf was 4x4 as I saw the rear wheels clawing and slipping. I know driver-ability plays a role, but the Panda simply drove calmly up the same incline no problem. Of course, being the boy I am I chose a track outside the one made by the Golf to "test" the Panda. AMAZING. I did feel the slip now and then, but with the ELD on, no problem. I also think the relative low power and light weight is a major advantage. I also wanted to "chip" the car at one stage, but have defintely decided against this.

Really is an amazing little car this. :)
Some pics to show the depth of the snow, and it is only midday here and still snowing full-out.

Best to you all.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Well if that was here in the UK the country would be in absolute chaos. Some areas here in the UK had "large" amounts well locally to me about 40mm (try not to laugh) of snow over the past couple of weeks so your not alone...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7884351.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7888744.stm

In the UK there is no requirement to fit winter tires or carry chains (in recent years we rarely see snow in any big amount...

there is still snow lying on high ground and i manged to get my Punto stuck out on the North Yorkshire Moors yesterday but being prepared i had a set of snow chains so i could get myself out of trouble

Last edited:
Yep, I am aware of the "attack" on the UK. :D
Amazing how little nature have to throw at us to destabilize a country.

Having said that, I must admit the Panda is not fail-proof.
I had almost no steering around a round-about, and even with ABS almost no brakes whatsoever. Luckily a round-about has 4 options! :D

Back