Technical thermostat change

Currently reading:
Technical thermostat change

ROWENA

I'm with MR Ford
Hi folks my thermostat is shot got a replacment from partco £30 are there any pitfalls I should watch for when I change it this afternoon? :confused:
thanx in advance
Karl
02 1.8 dynamic 3 dr

changed the thermostat which was a bit fiddly and now works great !! are there any air bleed points on the engine/rad as I cant find any? :confused:

been poking round the old threads and bleeding comes up quite a bit they were different size engines but they said about 1 on the radiator which I looked for in vain but i will give your idea a go and see what happens (y)

Can't say much of the Stilo's system, but some general advice for previous cars perhaps... After the thermostat is changed, you should flush the system using a garden hose - pretty simple. Then bolt everything up, refill 50/50 coolant/water and let the filler stay open. It might be a drain/air plug somewhere at the bulkhead.

When it is cold it may take ages for the thermostat to open. You will notice this when your coolant starts circulating. After a while - or even never, the fan cuts in to cool off the radiator. When the thermostat opens more coolant will be let into the system - hence a refill will most likely be needed. It was a classic earlier to refill the system after a flush or thermostat change, plug the cap and drive off: Oops low on coolant when the fluid started moving and filling the huge hoses after the thermostat.

This may not relate to the Stilo, but an ok thing to store for later.

M.

On 1.6 engine there is a bleed valve on the left hand side of the rad near the top. It resembles a domestic radiator key but is made of plastic.

Also there is another one on the heater hoses. If you remove the engine cover it is to the rear right corner of where the engine cover was positioned (if that makes any sense at all). This one is round and flat with a slot head.

I don't know if the 1.8 is the same but it's worth a look(y)

Back