Technical What is the difference between 17" and 18" on the bravo sport T-jet 150?

Currently reading:
Technical What is the difference between 17" and 18" on the bravo sport T-jet 150?

mogou

ok, the difference in min turning cycle is what I know so far,
However what is the difference in height, weight, controlability, speed (performance, with torque steer and acceleration), corners, grip, durability (with the bumps), and comfort (Which I think should be crappier on the 18"ers)

Inshort which is more handy (pros and cons) to own 17"s or 18"s

Re: What is the difference between 17" and 18" on the bravo sport T-jet 150?

okay, thanks alot for this awesome website:worship:
However, there's still an issue I still need someone's personal experience answer, and I forgot about asking about the bravo's ground clearance if there's a difference between 18" and 17" wheels.

The wheel size overall is pretty much the same. Basically you lose 1/2" of sidewall and it's replaced with 1/2" rim. Will improve cornering on a flat road but you'll feel the bumps more.

I stuck with the 17"s as I know the roads around here are shocking, and 40 profile tyres won't provide sufficient protection for the rims.

Check out this little beauty hiding over a crest on a 60mph country road... :eek:

Attachments

• DSC00480.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

lets calculate the worst case scenario what if you hit that crest with 17" or the 18" wheels, what will be the difference in damage?

OK, moving from 16s to 17s to 18s to 19s etc. as hellcat points out, each progression in wheel diameter means a 5 deduction in tyre profile. 17s 45, 18s 40, 19s 35. This is to maintain speedometer accuracy. It is viable to fit 18s with 45 tyres or 19s with 40s and there is the clearance around the wheels on the car to do this. The best method then to ascertain your speedo accuracy is to use a GPS system (tomtom etc. will suffice) to give a true reading against what your speedo outputs.
With regards to wheel protection, obviously the larger the profile the more absorbtion is taken by the tyre. Running 35s on mine and I am on the 2nd set due to hitting potholes and killing wheels off. This p&£$££ me off no end and I have learnt to be that much more cautious on unknown b roads. However, the offset of this is pinpoint handling. If I choose to go round a roundabout at 70mph the tyres will do this with no noticeable movement whereas with 45s they are all over the place. Stangely the 150mjet dynamic that I drive (and I'm sure all others in the range, but can only speak of what I know) is not that affected ridewise by the smaller profile tyres. When on the stilo a rough surface would have your fillings falling out, not so on the bravo.
Hope this helps
Steve

so the end answer of choice for bravo users the factory 17" or the 18" wheels for the "overall" road experience (as I will be ordering mine very soon)?

I have had no issues at all with my 18'', even under very poor road conditions, the alloys have not taken ANY damage. It should be noted that the alloys are not FIAT alloys!
And believe me, the roads in Bosnia(where i'm originally from, and visit occasionally) are very very BAD!

In Denmark the roads are quite good, so no issues here. If you fit the 18''s be prepared for a hard ride though!

Last edited:

I've not had any probs with the 18s on mine...don't find the ride uncomfy, but you do feel bumps a bit more...comapred to the 18s that were on the Renaultsport we had, the Fiat ones are much comfier ride...but I'm loosing 75bhp so not sure of acceleration...seems to go though so no complaints from me...

Okay then so far I will find a true answer by only two means either I get to test drive it (which isn't available for the 18s cuz its a special order), Or I ask someone who tried both...

Last edited:

other thing to take into consideration is acceleration will be slower on 18s than 17s as there is more mass for the drivetrain to get rolling (wheel weighs more than rubber and air).

not a massive differenc, but there is a difference.

it depends which wheels you go for, if aftermarket ones, then they can be as light as 15s dependant on the ones you opt for. Personally I find no problems with 19s but it is, obviously, according to taste and the reason for application

Just for info...I'm running Fiat 18's on my car and over the last 4 weeks, I've been checking my tyre pressures...I'm loosing 2psi out them each week...the roads round Stirling way aren't bad but the country roads can be a bit severe and I've hit a few rougher patches quicker than I would have liked...no damage to the wheels but I'm guessing the extra force of hitting these rougher areas might be helping with the 2psi loss over a weekly basis...if so, the 18's aren't as comfy as the 17's or as forgiving on the bumps! (of course all 4 tyres could have slow punctures...but if that is the case I'm concerned as I'll need to shell out for new rubber!)

Not that I knew...the hissing is coming from the actual inflation system as it is sitting under pressure - you remove the hose and the air can escape...the valve in the alloy shuts off automatically with the air pushing the valve core out and sealing the valve...

Yes, I was of the same impression. Every time I checked my tires they were 2 psi down all round. Took it back to a tyre fitter and told them I had a problem and they informed me that every time an inflator was connected 2 psi was lost as the inflator needed air to seal and some escaped while this sealing took place :confused: Leave it twice as long and see if they go down 2 or 4 psi.

Back