Technical Panda front suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Panda front suspension

KevinAlexLB

Does anyone know if the front springs and shock absorbers from a Panda 4x4 will fit on a 4x2? I wish to increase the ride height of my 2WD Panda to use in car trials, any advice would be appreciated. Its a 1990 model with the Omega beam rear suspension. Thanks.

Jim,
Thanks for that, I thought they should fit, but I also have been lead to believe that the hub carrier (ie the part with the lower ball joint pressed in) and the hub were different. Don't suppose you happen to have a pair of springs/shockers that you want to sell?
Cheers, Kevin

The difference is that the 4x4 shockers have bigger holes for the bolts connecting the pillar so you may need to drill the pillars' holes wider in order to fit the M10(are they?) bolts to the 4x2 pillar

Edit: Mine (4x4) had "modified" 4x2 pillars on... :eek:

Attachments

• pil2.jpg
    pil2.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 52
  • pil1.jpg
    pil1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
As I know...and checked it twice with my 4x4 friends...
shock absorbers in 4x4 (front) are longer(higher)!! (springs may be different as well)
So it could be not good for 2x4 to fit them from 4x4!!

Last edited:
:yeahthat: would be very silly thing to do also as you'd blind all on coming drivers at night having a higher front and lower rear end.

Jim, you mentioned buying some off of eBay, were these a one off or is there a listing I keep missing? Just my Sisley needs two new front ones, and I'm not looking forward to the price (trying to put it off as long as I can) :eek:

Jon.

Hi Jon, take your point but I'm intending to raise the rear as well. Re pillars, Ricambio International have 4x4 for £65 and 4x2 for £28.50, they have site on Ebay, just do a searh for "Panda ball joint". But try Interparts in Houslow - tel 020 8572 2217, contact Hani, I've just bought some parts from him, he's really helpful. If the only difference is the bolt size you could buy the 4x2 ones and drill them out!

Yes the old forum thread helps. Ride height on 4x4 will be higher so makes sense that pillar will need to be a different angle so camber angle is correct. Part nos for springs, shockers and pillar are all different so I would assume that springs and shockers are longer, which makes sense. Thanks everyone for your help. Next question - has anybody got a set of 4x4 springs and shockers they want to sell?!! I can raise the rear by getting new longer springs made!

Yes, the rear suspension is completely different on 4x2 and 4x4 - although (and I am guessing here!) the original Panda 4x2 had a live rear axle so springs/shockers at the back could be similar to 4x4. My 4x2 has the later "Omega" beam set-up at the rear so would expect everything to be different.

Yes, the rear suspension is completely different on 4x2 and 4x4 - although (and I am guessing here!) the original Panda 4x2 had a live rear axle so springs/shockers at the back could be similar to 4x4. My 4x2 has the later "Omega" beam set-up at the rear so would expect everything to be different.

Rear shocks have a different mounting point in 4x4 and 4x2 on the leaf spring/rear axle. Omega is another thing, as you say

Done a bit more checking on ePER re the bolt/hole size on the pillars. Bolts are same part no on 4x4 & 4x2, so think the modification on the holes on 4x2 pillar to fit 4x4 was to alter the camber angle. Bit of a crude way to give adjustable camber angle but it obviously worked!

Last edited:
I am halfway through replacing the struts (pillars?) on my Sisley. Why stop halfway? The bolts that hold the struts to the hub carriers are M12 (19mm spanner) on the old OE parts, but M10 (17mm spanner) on the replacement Boge struts and hub carriers. When buying my bolts in preparation (learnt from my mistakes, see?), I measured off the car.

Worth a check before you dismantle your means of getting to the local bolt-shop :bang:

(Incidently, if anyone wants a list of the new nuts and bolts you'll need to do the job I know em all by heart)

Ralph

You will find that the 4x4 pillar has 12m/m holes for the bolts. If your replacements have 10m/m holes they are for the 4x2 not the 4x4.
Rgds.

:eek:

Done a bit more checking on ePER re the bolt/hole size on the pillars. Bolts are same part no on 4x4 & 4x2, so think the modification on the holes on 4x2 pillar to fit 4x4 was to alter the camber angle. Bit of a crude way to give adjustable camber angle but it obviously worked!

You're right for the top hole, but the 4x2 has different hole's position so in order to get the required camber you have to drill oval top hole.
With the new ones I just put the bolts and the camber was spot on. Raised front susp now camber on the max permissable

The Eper lists the bolts for the 4x4 and 4x2 as being the same part number but the part number listed is for 4x2 only. The lack of a part number for the 4x4 bolts is an ommission in the Eper ( one of many ) that Fiat have known about for many years but have never bothered to correct.

When the Classic Panda was a current Fiat model in UK, all the dealers were aware of this and Fiat issued a memo to dealerships, pointing out the ommission. This memo was for dealers eyes only of course.

Rgds.

Back