Technical car security failure

Currently reading:
Technical car security failure

somebeans

i'm new to stilo's and i get the car security failure warning pretty much every time i get in the car. the car then doesn't turn off the immobiliser, so it won't go anywhere! if i turn the ignition off and back on again it usually clears it.
i have done a search through the forums and this seems to be a common-ish fault, just wondered if i am going along the right tracks with the thoughts i've got:

• check out the d4 connector
  • check battery
my key looks ok, but has recently had a new remote battery and the car battery was also checked recently and had a couple of cells topped up.

the other problem i've had is when i unlock the car sometimes the driver's door led carries on flashing until i press the unlock button again!

any thoughts?
cheers

I may not be the best person to advise on this – but a few things come to mind:

1) Re-register your keys
a) Take second key, put into ignition and turn to on position (don’t start the car)
b) Click open button on the other key to re-register
c) Swap keys and repeat
Note: while in on position it is theoretically possible for some one else to register their key (if it is compatible) if the other signal is not compatible you will receive a security error.

2) Immobilizer chip in key failing (get a new key – I do believe this can be tested as well)

3) Immobilizer antenna in ignition barrel is failing (think this is quite common on a stilo – but I’ve never had to fix it me self – hopefully some one else can advise on how to take it apart).

3) As anyone here will tell you – could be your battery (if there isn’t enough power on boot up stilo electronics behave in mysterious ways – if yours is 2 years or older and you can not test it – replace + go for the jtd updated battery if you can)

4) use search feature – this is a common enough fault

PS: stilo keys appear to have a limited life time (in my experience about 4-5 years)

cheers 12[X], i'm open to any suggestions to help solve this.

sorry, should have mentioned i only got one key with the car. i checked out new key prices at the main dealer, but as always they want tons of money! £95 for a non remote and £175 for a remote!

1) interesting what you were saying about re-registering keys. i might go for a spare key anyway, i need a spare and i'm interested to see if it fixes it!

2) and 3) good to know a couple of other starting points to check.

i think there might be a day of checking connections and cleaning! (n)

3) yeah, i've found that answer a lot about the battery. i think i might check it at the weekend and see what;s going on with it!

4) :worship:

my cars a 52 plate and it looks like the original key! :(

you should be able to reuse any other stilo remote (its the immobilizer chip that has to be coded to your car) you could borrow another remote to register/try (it is possible that an alfa or even a mercedes remote could be compatible - they might use a different roll code though - not sure: let me know if you try) but your issue appears to be related to immobilizer (hence issues starting the car..)

you should be able to reuse any other stilo remote (its the immobilizer chip that has to be coded to your car) you could borrow another remote to register/try (it is possible that an alfa or even a mercedes remote could be compatible - they might use a different roll code though - not sure: let me know if you try) but your issue appears to be related to immobilizer (hence issues starting the car..)

No you cannot borrow keys from another car, not even a stilo. The key has to be from the correct series for your particular car. If you borrow a Stilo key and it codes, it is pure luck. Most wont because they will be from the wrong series. The immobiliser chip has to be ordered from Fiat specifically to the chassis number of your car to ensure you get the right one. There are Stilo keys on ebay but dont buy one because it is very unlikely the dealer will be able to code it to your car.

However the original problem sounds more like a problem with the car rather than the key. Even if the alarm has gone off, you should be able to start the car strait away. You dont need to clear the error first.

It is quite possible you have a faulty faulty imobiliser antenna. It is a coil of wire around ignition.

Within my very limited understanding of the subject :shrug:- a remote key simply uses an algorithm to vary/generate a sequence of unlock validation key/numbers (each one is unique) - both car and remote use the same algorithm - registration simply introduces a starting point of the sequence (hence pressing your key 100 times out of range of the car will move it beyond the point a car is programmed to recognize = remote no longer operates and has to be re-registered). Now the wrong part? - different versions of stilo use a different algorithm:confused:? That’s quite expensive to do isn't it? I'd assume the start point being random = no need to spend resources and money to do that.

PS: obviously I’m no tech and nowhere near as knowledgeable as most of the users here - so my apologies if anyone is offended by my stupidity:worship:. On another subject though - could someone perhaps answer me post concerning parking sensor plug? prerry pwees :bang::cry:

cheers for this, certainly looks like i need to check out my key and the immobiliser antenna.
the car algorythms is baffling me tbh!
it was only recently i had a 20 year old mini where you could fix everything with 2 spanners and a screwdriver! :D
an update... i get the warning everytime i go to start the car now and sometimes it takes 3-4 times times to clear it and before the engine will start. also as soon as i start the car i notice that if i then turn the fan up high to clear the windows it sounds as if it's struggling, the lcd screen dims as it's trying to get power and the fan speed goes up and down a bit! maybe coming back to the car battery a bit below par!?
still love the car though!

pollen filters get blocked really easily - swap it (improvement to flow would be unbelievable). as for your electrics struggling - could be a bad earth or battery (but could also be you alternator - have a look at auxiliary belt and tensioner to ensure it’s not slipping - it's not common for stilo alternators to pack up) Am not sure if car will give preference to charging the battery over powering equipment though (would think not..) - perhaps someone here will know (you could just buy a trickle charger and charge your battery for 24 hours – it should be enough to give you a few good starts and should be done about every 6 month anyway). Also – is your rpm low when you get flashing lcd? Radio on full blast?

it had a new pollen filter last august apparently. (i bought the car in january).
i am starting to get a bit suspicious of the work done though, because it says a new pollen filter was fitted, car battery checked and some cells topped up and new key battery fitted. Yet i'm now getting problems which might point towards some of these things! maybe i'm just too suspicious!
funny you mention the aux belt and tensioner, as i had a new belt and bottom tensioner fitted last week week as the belt was slipping on start up.
yeah, the car has only just started when i wack on the heater at full speed to get the windows clear and usually flick the radio on while i'm waiting! perhaps i'm asking a bit much of a battery that's not that great. it always turns the car over well though.
think i'll give the battery a check at the weekend and bung it on a trickle charge then. and see what that does the next day. cheers, got to be cheaper than just shelling out for a new batt straight away!

Last edited:
checked battery and voltage is at 12.3 (without engine running), believe it should be 12.6?
i only put a voltmeter over it so not that scientific!

i've heard so much about any signs of the battery being under par and the electrical gremlins come along?

is 0.3 of a volt enough does anyone know?

Back