Technical Thawing out

Currently reading:
Technical Thawing out

stu4art

[SIZE=-1]Hi Forum
my Barchetta has now been parked outside in the cruel winter weather since Dec 24th. It has a hardtop and I parked without the handbrake. It's starting to thaw out here in good old Germany now and I have no idea what 'precautions' I should take (if any) before trying to start her up this weekend?
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]:shrug:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I actually had icicles hanging off the bodywork. Any tips for me or am I being over cautious :eek:. Only bought her in Sept. and this is my 1st ever 'LOVELY CAR'
Thanx STUart
[/SIZE]

I would suggest popping your head under the bonnet to check that things are not too frozen under there. Look for the obvious, frozen/cracked belts, rad pipes are not frozen, header tank is not frozen and has enough anti-freeze in............all of the things you would check with any other car really!

Good luck (and remember - don't be tempted to put the roof down in sub-zero temps as you are likely to crack the rear screen!)....

Good luck (and remember - don't be tempted to put the roof down in sub-zero temps as you are likely to crack the rear screen!)....

Is that a typical British thing to do, driving with the roof down in cold weather? :nutter: I've yet to see anybody doing that here.

Thanx for your tips. I don't normally drive cars, I've usually got a bike between my thighs ;). So driving with the top down would be a bit like luxury really :)
STUart

I normally drive the MG around 3-4 degrees but when they put salt down and the temperature drops below 3 degC then she gets tucked up. When the Barchetta finally is running, i will be using it that no matter what the temperature is as long as its not raining. We have a private car park so i dont mind leaving it all day with the roof down so that I dont have to disturb it when it is freezing!

[SIZE=-1]YES :slayer: she started first time! I couldn't get the bonnet up so I just let her idle for a while then went for a 15km drive, after which I was then able to pop the bonnet, and everything looks fine. I'm impressed, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]once again [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]thanx for the tips - OH and I kept the hardtop on, even though the sun shone for ten mins. :D
STUart
[/SIZE]

Back