General Safety Plates?

Currently reading:
General Safety Plates?

I went and got some warrenty work done a few weeks ago and when i was down there i noticed that they were selling safe plates,

the previous night i was watching crime watch and they said about the amount of people that have had their number plates stolen and got letters and court cases through for things they didnt commit,

the idea of the safe plate is so that if you try and take them off they are harder to do which puts them off and if they can it just snaps so that cannot use the plate

ive got a set 19.99 from bishops stortford dealership wondered if anyone else has? :confused:

I might invest. However mine are screwed on and the bolts have rusted so they are a bit tought to get off anyway.

I think you can get some from local motorstores too.

you might do all i know is theres a mounting bracket behind that obviously needs special keys to remove and the plate itself is etched? got score marks all over so that it would snap n break up!

i thought it was a good invest too i woudlnt want to have to prove that it wasnt me stealing petrol or robbing a bank rather not have the hassle of it :yum:

Meh if someone steals your plates you ring up and report it at the end of the day dont you? Easy enough for them to see you driving down the street, write your number plate down then go on ebay and buy a set of plates for a tenner and bingo they have your car!

true but it puts off the oppotunist with a screwdriver and for 20quid its worth it i say

besides they could steal it say when you park it at home and theyd have a good 12hours before you went out to the car again and chances are you wouldnt even notice it say in car parks etc. you dont often look at the front and back to check

i think added with other security packages it may bring down insurance because it shows your concerned and caring towards the vehicle in the same way a bodykit new spray jobs vinyls dont increase premiums as much as new audio or exhaust would

i was talking to a mate who owns a supra with the veilside bodykit pearlescant paint new engine etc. he said his insurance went down when the new bodykit and spray was added as in the insurers eyes your going to take care of it

Last edited:
Meh if someone steals your plates you ring up and report it at the end of the day dont you? Easy enough for them to see you driving down the street, write your number plate down then go on ebay and buy a set of plates for a tenner and bingo they have your car!

:yeahthat:

thats the thing in the UK any unscrupulous backstreet garage will knock you a plate up for a few beer tokens

i was talking to a mate who owns a supra with the veilside bodykit pearlescant paint new engine etc. he said his insurance went down when the new bodykit and spray was added as in the insurers eyes your going to take care of it

:D:D Whats that funny smell?? oh yes I recognise it now :D:D

And how pray tell is that going to stop anyone stealing it, or it catching fire, or him being hit by an uninsured polish lorry driver or him running up someone elses arse at the lights while clocking some totty in a tight-skirt????

This is how it works..........When you carry out a mod to a car you become a modder, statistically modders make more claims than non-modders. Therefore modders are seen as a higher risk than non-modders......upshot of this is that your insurance company will load your premium accordingly.

:D:D Whats that funny smell?? oh yes I recognise it now :D:D

And how pray tell is that going to stop anyone stealing it, or it catching fire, or him being hit by an uninsured polish lorry driver or him running up someone elses arse at the lights while clocking some totty in a tight-skirt????

This is how it works..........When you carry out a mod to a car you become a modder, statistically modders make more claims than non-modders. Therefore modders are seen as a higher risk than non-modders......upshot of this is that your insurance company will load your premium accordingly.

then again when i declared my towbar the premium went down by £25 work that out because i couldn't :confused:

then again when i declared my towbar the premium went down by £25 work that out because i couldn't :confused:

Premiums as well all know are based on risk, so it works both ways I guess, people who regularly tow must be seen by some companies as less risk than those who dont. It didnt work for me though, fitting a hitch to my (other) car made no difference to the premium whatsoever.

I've already had my plates copied, not stolen. The police recovered them while doing a drug raid on a flat not far from me. The police then came to MY door and asked me to explian why my plates were in another house :confused:.
In the end i got the plates, so i have a spare set, at the expense of some low life. I was lucky they never used them.

Premiums as well all know are based on risk, so it works both ways I guess, people who regularly tow must be seen by some companies as less risk than those who dont. It didnt work for me though, fitting a hitch to my (other) car made no difference to the premium whatsoever.

and it stops you damaging your bumper if you back into another car :chin:

this thread reminded me of a job i had to do on mine i have just replaced the original screws with some A2 stainless steel ones taking on board what i have read i decided to bolt my front plate in place (get that off you thieving Scrote)

I removed the existing self tapping screw cleaned the hole with a scalpel then drilled a hole large enough for the domed socket cap (bolt)
DSCF1151.JPG

put on a washer then the plastic dome cap base passed it through then put the big repair (penny) washer then a normal washer then the Nylock nut
DSCF1152.JPG

not totally impossible to remove but you need a spanner to hold the back (and there is little to no room to feel it) or it'll just spin if you stick an Alan key on it..

DSCF1155.JPG

DSCF1156.JPG

then pushed the white cap on so you can't see how its fixed

need to take the back bumper off though if you plan on doing the back :(

Last edited:
pretty ingenious!

i was watching a program while back about americans with the craziest security features one had flame throwers one had a battle axe arm that slung open and broke ur legs should u try getting in the door cant remember what it was called you tube probably knows but some of them were hilarious :D

pretty ingenious!

i was watching a program while back about americans with the craziest security features one had flame throwers one had a battle axe arm that slung open and broke ur legs should u try getting in the door cant remember what it was called you tube probably knows but some of them were hilarious :D

that was in south africa because car jacking were so common.

Back