General Lost both keys - car stuck 90 miles away

Currently reading:
General Lost both keys - car stuck 90 miles away

KapKremmen

Having searched all forums for that the advice is model specific. I have a 1.2 Stilo made in 2002. I've lost both of the blue keys.

I have a small blue card,about the size of a credit card, from Fiat that has key related codes on it. There is a five-digit "electronic code" and a seven-digit/letter "mechanical code". This card is accompanied by a sticker labelled "keycode security" that also has several codes and serial numbers on it.

Am right in thinking that these codes can be used to program new keys at the main dealers? If so, will it be necessary for the car to be brought to the garage or could I have new versions of the lost keys?

Yes that is the CODE CARD 5digit is emergency start code 7digit is
for cutting new keys, take it with u to dealer with logbook&ID,but new key will probably have to be programmed to the car? is there a Fiat dealer near the cars location as this may help in the retrieval of the car.

how did you get home to the PC or you got one of those internet phone things?
I discovered the loss of the keys early yesterday, Saturday, morning. Only the sales section of the main dealers were open until Monday morning. I had planned to travel home Saturday morning anyway, so I got the bus home.

Yes that is the CODE CARD 5digit is emergency start code 7digit is
for cutting new keys, take it with u to dealer with logbook&ID,but new key will probably have to be programmed to the car? is there a Fiat dealer near the cars location as this may help in the retrieval of the car.

Thanks inki. Unfortunately, the location of the main dealer nearest to the car would make it awkward for me to reach. My local main dealer does most of my servicing anyway so hopefully they can sort it out.

I figured out that one of the other numbers is the PIN for the diagnostic port (ODB) so that the ECU can be reprogrammed. I still don't know what must be programmed into it. I've seen on some Auto lock smith sites that they can reprogramme ECUs to remove your old keys as a security precaution. That suggests that each key has a unique id and that they must be individually registered with the ECU. Anyone know if that is the case?

Last edited:
I believe you are correct regarding clearance of the lost key codes on ECU as you said, and new keys can be put on, hopefully your Fiat dealer can help you out. Good luck.

Sorry! each key does have it's own code I believe upto 8 keys can be put on, mind you keys aren't cheap are they? hopefully 2 keys are enough.

Back