General T-Jet Suspension in comparison to Abarth suspension?

Currently reading:
General T-Jet Suspension in comparison to Abarth suspension?

Exactly what is the difference between the two suspensions other than the dampners and springs?
For example.... Would buying Abarth Dampners and Springs render my T-Jet Suspension similar to the Abarth set-up?
Would either piece make much difference to the T-Jet set-up?

Last edited:
Theres not a huge amount of difference between the two setups iirc.

A quick snippit from an old AI magazine (Sep 08) lists the chassis differences from T-Jet to Abarth (standard version, not Esseesse) as "a bundle of chassis modifications including 10mm lower and stiffer springs, 6mm wider track, reprofiled dampers and 2mm thicker anti-roll bar (19mm thick as aposed to 17mm thick on the T-Jet)".

The article leads the reader to believe that these are only some of the changes, I couldnt tell you for sure if there are more (cant be bothered to compare part numbers on ePer).

Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to meet, either speak with Chris@Souls about ordering the Abarth springs, dampers and anti-roll bar or try sourcing some of the following parts as an aftermarket alternative:
- Eibach springs
- Koni dampers
- 3mm wheel spacers
- Uprated anti-roll bar from the likes of Eibach or OMP (if available)

Should be dooable for somewhere between £500-£1000.

I take it you've decided to stick with the GP and mod it rather than take the depreciation hit on such a new car :eek:

Good luck mate, hope you turn it into the car that it's capable of being :D

Last edited:
Theres not a huge amount of difference between the two setups iirc.

A quick snippit from an old AI magazine (Sep 08) lists the chassis differences from T-Jet to Abarth (standard version, not Esseesse) as "a bundle of chassis modifications including 10mm lower and stiffer springs, 6mm wider track, reprofiled dampers and 2mm thicker anti-roll bar (19mm thick as aposed to 17mm thick on the T-Jet)".

The article leads the reader to believe that these are only some of the changes, I couldnt tell you for sure if there are more (cant be bothered to compare part numbers on ePer).

Doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to meet, either speak with Chris@Souls about ordering the Abarth springs, dampers and anti-roll bar or try sourcing some of the following parts as an aftermarket alternative:
- Eibach springs
- Koni dampers
- 3mm wheel spacers
- Uprated anti-roll bar from the likes of Eibach or OMP (if available)

Should be dooable for somewhere between £500-£1000.

I take it you've decided to stick with the GP and mod it rather than take the depreciation hit on such a new car :eek:

Good luck mate, hope you turn it into the car that it's capable of being :D

Bang on mate, Christmas passed, I eyed Up a new 197 or a 2nd hand Mk5 Golf GTI, then realised WTF am I doing, I would for one be loosing in excess of 2-3k within a matter of 4 months, and for that sort of money at my disposal I could make my T-Jet into a 197 beater :)

So as they said back in Gladitorial days.... Let the games begin...... and the better half rip my bolloks off

Last edited:
Fair play mate, wise decision and one which I would follow myself if I was in your situation.

The T-Jet isn't massively exciting as standard however it does have a fair amount of potention to be a cracking car, after all it's only a handful of readily available parts away from an Abarth.... and beyond :devil:

Keep us posted on your progression, should make for an cracking read :D

The rear beam is completely different to the standard Tjet one afaik. Then a slight wider track and different springs and dampers as people have said. I think a properly set up set of coilovers would easily match or beat the abarths handling.

Exactly what is the difference between the two suspensions other than the dampners and springs?
For example.... Would buying Abarth Dampners and Springs render my T-Jet Suspension similar to the Abarth set-up?
Would either piece make much difference to the T-Jet set-up?
well concerning the anti-roll bar the magazines are completely out of knowledge.they claim 19mm bar while the ''normal'' versions are 17mm.if you check the part number from fiat you will find that they have the same diameter and more accurate if you measure an abarth one with a normal you will find exactly the same number.17mm.i know because before i decided to do my suspension modifications i was thinking the abarth one.no difference what so ever.

well concerning the anti-roll bar the magazines are completely out of knowledge.they claim 19mm bar while the ''normal'' versions are 17mm.if you check the part number from fiat you will find that they have the same diameter and more accurate if you measure an abarth one with a normal you will find exactly the same number.17mm.i know because before i decided to do my suspension modifications i was thinking the abarth one.no difference what so ever.
sorry except the diameter they have the same part number

The rear beam is completely different to the standard Tjet one afaik. Then a slight wider track and different springs and dampers as people have said. I think a properly set up set of coilovers would easily match or beat the abarths handling.
:yeahthat:

don't quote me on this, but doesnt the abarth use a different set up... ie, the standard GP has a torsion bar, whereas the abarth is more or less fully independant...

*runs off to find info*
some say torsion beam in the rear with 5% more strength.i have checked it my self to see that it is a torsion beam,semi-independant.
all torsion beams setups are concidered as semi-independant and can be combine with other setups,like limp arms or longitudinal arms.

Back