Technical Clutch / Gearbox problem with 1999 Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch / Gearbox problem with 1999 Punto

Gorskar

Hello there,

Wondering if I could run my problem by some knowledgeable people here before it goes to the garage.

I've got a 1999 S reg Punto (mk 1)

A few weeks ago the clutch got quite stiff around the bite point, and also when in neutral I could hear a bit of crunching when pressing down the clutch.

The problem magically vanished a few days later (over the weekend), so I forgot about it.

A day or two ago the symptoms returned.
Also today I have had problems putting the car into 1st gear. Wouldn't go in at all if moved down from 3rd, I needed to stop the engine, move into 1st, and start the engine again. I did manage to move it into 1st a few times after that, but was difficult. The other gears didnt seem to be such a problem though.

Also heard crunching when trying to put into reverse, although worked ok.
I didnt want to drive after that, so left the car at work.

I think something is up with the gearbox/clutch
Its booked for a service at an AA service centre this Wednesday, so they can probably have a look then.

What do you think is the problem and how much money am I looking at?
(NB I've got a mate at work who used to be a mechanic, so he might be able to take a look tomorrrow if hes in)

Many thanks,
James

Thanks for your reply.
I'm hoping its nothing worse than that, but knowing my luck....

Have chatted to my mate today, and hes suggested it could be the thrust bearing (bearing between clutch fork and clutch bearing)
If its that will need to take the gearbox out to get to it, which could end up costing money....

Any further thoughts?

this is not punto related but on my old car when the gearbox went i had a constant noise (like something was scrapping along the road) as soon as i got into 4th gear this noise stopped. a new gearbox and clutch cost me ....around ..... £800!! its not cheap!

my punto crunches slightly going from 1st - 2nd hope this isn't gonna lead to same thing!

Hi there

THe thrust bearing on my S reg Punto sporting went three weeks a go. Rattling, crunching, squeeling and juddering. I thnk it cost about 130 to fix. I say think, because I had pads done at the same time...

NIz

It sounds like the pressure plate sprung fingers have broken this will give a very stiff pedal and poor gear selection then ok for a little then poor again i recommend that you get it sorted sorted before you damage the gearbox by forcing the gearshifting

Well the symptoms you describe Ned do match what I've experienced, I've not driven the car today, and its only got about 1/2 mile ot get to the garage tomorrow morning.

I'll mention this possibility to the garage and let you know how I get on...

Well I think it was the throttle bearing, apparently its a common problem on first edition Puntos.
They replaced the clutch. Very expensive, but at least its fixed....

Back