Technical Door Locking Wire Colours

Currently reading:
Technical Door Locking Wire Colours

Thrisey

Er in doors has bought me a keyless locking system for Christmas for my Bravo, looked through my manual today and there is no wiring diagram for the central locking.
I think it is a negative trigger system, but have no idea which cable locks and unlocks the doors, anybody out there know?
The car is a Bravo SX, 1999 car, 1200cc no alarm fitted.
Thanks
Chris

Here's the central locking wiring diagrams from the Fiat manual. G=Yellow, H=Grey. I think the motor works by reversing polarity for lock or unlock so there is no lock or unlock wire as such. Your aftermarket kit should show how to wire it for various systems.

Dave.

Attachments

• Brava-o CL Wiring 1.jpg
    Brava-o CL Wiring 1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 2,222
  • Brava-o CL Wiring 2.jpg
    Brava-o CL Wiring 2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 2,389
does the car lock all doors from the front passenger door?
if not you'll need fit a motor in the drivers door.

Thanks Davren for the diagrams I will take at them with the car in front of me, could have sworn many months back reading on here that the Bravo was negative locking, I could easily be wrong though, the kit came from rightclick.co.uk the wife said the kit was supose to come with a vehicle specific wiring diagram, but it hasn't it came with a general diagram and how to wire up the find me lights, remote boot opening, roll up windows the locking side of the information is very vauge they clearly tell which wires to use on there side for three differant locking systems, but then tell you to use a test lamp on the locking wires to asertain which wire does what, BUT!!! the test lamp must have a diaode in it other wise it will damage the vehicle locking system.
SparkySteve: the passenger door will lock the same doors as the driver door.
Thanks
Chris

Central Door Locking works off a Negative control signal.

Connect to the BLUE wire (Lock) and WHITE wire (Unlock) located in the wiring harness coming out of the rubber grommet of the front door, drivers side.

If you need any more locations and colours just ask me.

Brilliant!! Thank you very much JoskeJTD! I have found the rest of the wires it was just the locking wires I was not sure on and which diagram to look at I kind of remember reading on here many months back about the Bravo and negative trigger locking but was not 100% sure and could not find the thread this time possibly expired so you have cleared up the grey area, it has covered 120 thousand miles now and has just recently been through a bit of a bad time what with TPS, coil and ignition lead problems all at once plus I did a lot of cussing at it, so I figure It needs a prezzie to keep it happy so again Thanks and have a good New Year!
Chris

JoskeJTD you said if I needed \ny more help on wire colours to let you know, I seem to have gone wrong somewhere, wired in unit ok flashes lights, puts on blue LED in dash, and activates find me indicator flashes, so that side is sound, now the lockinf side has gone a bit *its up, locks ok, flashes indicators, wont unlock, still flashes indicaotrs and puts off blue LED but does not operate lock. Trcaed wires in door back to footwell.
White wire in door goes to quite a thin Grey/white wire in footwell, locks ok.
Blue wire in door goes to about twice the thickness Grey wire in foot well.

The wiring guide sent to me by right click, tells me to conect to the white or yellow wire in footwell, to lock and blue or grey wire to unlock, to be honest I dont remember seeing a plain yellow wire in the footwell, but I cant help thinking this wiring configuration I have now is not right, I would have thought to lock and unlock the doors the basic wiring would be the same thickness as it carries the same current, so I can't understand why the grey unlock wire is approximatly twice the thickness on the grey/white lock wire,
any ideas where I have gone wrong?
Chris

Just read your car is a Bravo MK2 SX, ok.

I assume your locking is fine, its just not unlocking. Ok, lets first rule out the wire your already connected too is the right one.

Firstly lets make sure we are both talking about the same set of wires at the same location. Alarm fitters connect the central locking wires to any section of wire on the wiring loom behind the set of fuses on the driver side to where the wires enter the door.

Usually working from under the drivers side you should see a connector with a bundle of wires going to the drivers door.

Rereading my wiring instructions, i believe i have got the lock and unlock colours reversed. The Marea has these colours in the order i previously gave you but the Bravo/a doesn't. Sorry, my bad.

This is the size thickness for both central locking wires, 0,75 mm2.
WHITE wire (lock)
BLUE wire (unlock)
(located in the bundle of cables coming out of the drivers side door, at the rear of the fuse box).

We can ignore the white (lock) as that works perfectly.

Since your locking is fine, you need to make sure that the unlock wire from the locking unit is connected to a blue wire of the same thickness as the wire you connected to for the lock pulse on the same loom to the door/fusebox.

You previously said...
Blue wire in door goes to about twice the thickness Grey wire in foot well.

This makes no sense, the way it has been written makes me believe that you have connected two wires on the car to each other. Where is the wire from the alarm unit for the central locking? Why is that wire not connected to the blue wire?

The small loom leading to the door from the fusebox will have a white wire for the LOCKING and a blue wire for the UNLOCKING hidden amongst the other. Just connect the unlocking wire from the locking unit to the Blue wire. Job done.

I never said connect to a grey wire, and i can tell you now it wont be a grey wire, it is a blue one. I am 110% definate.

Last edited:
Ok we are in the right place driver footwell, under dash fuse box face plate taken off, Right Click say car unlock is a Blue wire, car lock is a White wire, on there remote control box White is close, White/Black is open. they say you conect in the footwell (driver) the White/Black cable to the cars Blue or Grey wire (open), and the White to the cars White or Yellow wire (close).

In the footwell I have not got a Blue wire? so we took off the door panel remove the sheet of the door and found the White and blue cables at the lock end so we used aa multi meter on continuity mode to send a signal down the wires from the lock end to the door hindge end, from there we removed the rubber sheath which conect the door to the car(you can unscrew this to reviel a plug) we can then see which wire colour we are sounding in the footwell. that is how we did it.
now we found the white locking wire, traced it right back to the flexi door soket and then jumped across into the car the only cable we got a sound off was this thin grey/White cable? not the thicker white cable we expected, so we conected into it and tried it, pow doors lock.
The Blue cable in the door at the lock end was traced the same way by using the bleep of the tester, however this finds its way into the car on this Grey cable (could be very light blue I supose) to me it looks grey.
We are both looking in the same place right at the rubber bung facing upwards with a good selection of wires possibly about 10 or 15 wires, we do have aa white in there the same thickness as the bluey grey wire but we don't get a signal off this wire at all at the lockend on the door, we don't think there was a yellow wire in there but having siad that is did chuck it down so we had to take cover quickly so there could be at the back somewhere. the Grey/white wire is the same thickness as the white wire from there locking control unit, the grey blue is nearly twice the thickness, we are wrong on the locking side but really can not spot it yet, any idea what this thinner is grey/white wire is it is not showing up on any of my wiring diagrams apart from the fact I don't have the alarm wiring or Central locking diagrams for the colours, I know I have conected it up wrong it is just a case of spotting it, all I can think is we traced the wrong wires somewhere, if it stops snowing we will have another look at the wires today to see if we can spot possibly a yellow, bit nervious about hooking this thing up to the white wire as we could not determine where it is going or what it is doing in the door.
Hope you can uravel me, get back to you soon.
Chris

Hi Again
Yes definatly grey! the Mazda tec has had aa look as well and has confirmed it is grey. there is also a Yellow in there which is the same thickness.
The grey/white locking wire I am using at the moment is about the thickness of a single cable on doorbell wire, (best discription I can think of, nobody has a wire gauge here).
The thin doorbell type thickness wire colours are: Grey/white (conected to now Lock door), White/Green, Blue, Black, White/red, Yellow/green, white/red, Black, Blue/green, Violet/white, Blue/White, Black/red.

The thicker wires are: Grey, White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Orange/red, Purple/Yellow, White/Yellow.

The way I am looking at it at the mo, with the thin wire I only have a blue, no white though, event though the lock is operated by the Grey/white striped wire for some reason behond us as nowhere on the net or in wiring diagrams we have seen this grey/white wire unless it is part of the alarm system wiring which is some how activating the locking now, which could explain possibly why it locks, as the remote locking modual is actually locking the door but the cars central locking modual still thinks it is unlocked so therfore wont unlock the car.
In the thicker wires I have the grey and yellow wires, same size, and they match to some of the wiring diagrams we have come across. we even went as far as to cut the blue wire in the door by the lock, and then shut it up and lock it with the key, locked fine would not unlock the passenger door ,yet this blue wire traces back to the grey wire in the foot well? Stress.
can I blow this remote locking control unit, if I conect first to the thin blue wire to see if it locks, if not revert back to the grey thicker wire and conect the locking wire to the thicker yellow wire:confused:

Very very strange. Any link to what central locking unit you have, as i'm guessing it could be faulty. Have you tried putting the multimeter to the new central locking unit and see if it works correctly? The wiring colours i have given you are correct. Now why the colours change after the door could be a anti theft measure, however alarm fitters would state its true colours.

Try connecting the lock and unlock of the central locking unit to the blue and white in the door to rule out the device being faulty.

Make sure the unit is sending out a negative pulse.

Out of curiosity to you have a third wire for the central locking, as someones alarm or RCL had a third wire for the central locking and the CL only worked when the third wire was connected to the earth.

I found this, this is for the right click RCL system....

All the wiring is done around the fuse area by your knee under steering wheel. so undo the cover use your key or a flat head screwdriver.

DSC00356.jpg

1st of all you need to cut attach some wires from the control unit to each other.

The yellow needs to be attached to the Yellow/Black(yellow with black line) then the Yellow/Black needs to be attached to the Black like this: -

wires.jpg

2nd thing is you need to locate the set of wires coming from the drivers door. they should be at the bottom towards the drivers door.

too check if they are the right set of wires, pull off the rubber covering going from the car into the door and pull the set of wires you think it is. you will obviously see sycronising movement if you have the right wires.

now the wires you need from the control box are: -

-Black
-White
-White/Black (white with black line)

Conect them in this mannor: -

Black - Black

White - White

White/Black - Light Blue

3rd thing is to attack the Red wire to a positive wire. I used the extra fuses at the top. pull out the right set of 3 fuses. and attach to the bottom fuse (when looking at the wires) right wire( as pictured). (it is important that you connect it to the non-fused wire as the red wire has a fuse already.

DSC00357.jpg

4th is to wire up so the indicators flash when you lock and unlock the car you will need to remove the housing around the steering wheel its 5 philipshead screws you will need to follow the wires from the indicatorsaround to a suitiable area to do the wiring as the wires are tightly wrapped.

DSC00359.jpg

attach the wires in this manor: -

Brown - Light Blue

Brown - Light Blue/Black

it doesnt matter which brown as long as both are attached to diffrent wires.

I came across a problem that after wiring it didnt lock and unlock using the remote. when wiring using the onectors provided or if you are using your won wriggle them about to ensure that the mental from the conectors is touching the metal inside the wires.

if to no avail the conectors from the black box to the wires need wriggling about. if in any trouble post back and i'll try and help you.

Hope this is some use to you.

Last edited:
Image of under dash driver footwell wires, you can see the Grey/White stripe wire is quite thin, yet it operates the locking from the fob, they Grey wire is supose to operate the unlocking - does not.
Can you see in the Blue Square a Yellow wire - this is the same thickness as the Grey wire, but there is also in the loom (Green box) a white wire seems slighlty thibker that the grey not by much though could just be an illusion blood rushing to head etc, not sure what that Grey/White stripe wire is supose to do, but it seems a bit thin to operate the central locking, it is thiner than the locking wires in the door? which does not seem right to me, I wondered if it was a sensor wire for the alarm that picks up a pulse when the door is locked just to tell the alarm it has been locked, not to actually lock it, because this wire is not on the same circuit as the unlock wire the central locking car modual does not know the door has been locked, manually locking the doors does not operate the aftermarket remote locking as the blue LED does not come on, so locking the door with the key and trying the fob to unlock does not work, but you can see by the image it is a grey wire isn't it, which is about the same thickness again as the after market locking/unlocking wires, yet as you can see the Grey/White stripe is quite a bit thinner, which all my years in the motor trade does not seem right.
Perhaps my best bet wouls be to go to the central locking modual, behind the glove box isn't it and have a look at the loom there to see if I can spot any colours there, would I need to remove the glove box or If I manovre my fat body to some very strange angles with feet in the air can I see the modual from the passenger footwell looking up behind the G/box, being a bit old as well the body does not bend that well anymore either.
Excuse scotch locks and tape not the finished item by far, trying to get it working before we solder in perminantly and tidy up.

Attachments

• Wires.jpg
    Wires.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
You have not tested your unit so how can you be sure the colours are wrong. Anyway looking at the pictures you need to connect to this blue wire.....

Wires.jpg

OK, here are the wires that should be going to the drivers door.

2 Wires for the Speaker

Black/Violet
Pink/Black

3 Wires for the power windows

Red
Red/Green
Orange

5 Wires for the Heated Electric Mirrors

Grey/Red
Light Blue/Yellow
Blue/Red
Brown/Black
Black

2 Wires for the Central Locking

Blue
White

Have you tested to see if the locking unit you have is working properly? You checked with a multimeter or wiring it direct to the blue and white wires in the door.

No point trying to connect it near the relays if its broke. Also is it an alarm and remote central locking your fitting or just remote central locking?

Last edited:
So you want me to connect the White/Black cable to the thin Blue car cable to unlock!
Should I leave the White cable connected to the thin Grey/White stripe which locks. I have no idea how this is working as I can not find this colour wire on any wiring diagram, I notice you don't mention it either, I take it does not show up on your diagrams either. I supose my main worry is sending to much power down these wires when they where not designed to operate like this if you know what I mean, possible fire problems maybe, they just look a bit flimsy to me to be doing such a job Are these the thickness of wire you mentioned earlier 0.75mm2.

Can you see where I am connected to the Grey(taped conection), well in the fitting guide from right click for the Bravo on Type 2 Negative locking they tell me to conect the White (Close) to the white or Yellow Cable at the A coloumn between drivers door.
Conect the White/Black (Open) to the Blue or Grey cable origonal wires A cloumn between drivers door.

Can't test unit direct on the door cabling till the weekend not enough time at work and too dark by the time I get home around 7.30ish.

How on earth would I go about testing the unit.

I wasn't going to connect near the relays, but thought I might get a better idea of cable size and colour, it is fine where it is under the dash in the footwell.

The unit is purely a remote locking system. From www.rclick.co.uk, it is a KE27s-Plus.
I make referance to the vehicles possible alarm wiring, the vehicle HAS NO alarm fitted, however on production some of the wiring looms a generic to all models so the cabling is there for example mine car had manual mirrors fitted, all I needed to do was buy the 2 electric mirrors and the mirror switch, plug em all in and there you have heated electric mirrors, no cabling done by me allready there.
I must admit looking at your list of cables in my footwell to my door, and cross referancing them with my list, there are quite a few not there of that colour I have a total 21 wires going into that flexy door gromet, 12 of them being of the thin type you can see in the image.
Strange one isn't it, you can see now why we had trouble matching cables from the wiring diagrams all we could find for the mirror was the Violet/White, White red and Black, no Brown/Black or Light Blue/Yellow? found all interior light wires, Elecy windows again missing Red/Green? yet the colours in the door seem to match from what we could see of them in the gaps in the tape, all wires only found by sight not by testing, so they may be wrong anyway.
Sorry for the hassel!

SORTED!
So if any of you have a Bravo 1.2 1999 (T reg) car with strange wire colours.
In the Drivers Footwell coming out of round rubber gromet from door.
thin Grey/White strip = lock
Thin Blue = Unlock

These 2 cable are thiner than 0.75mm2 they look to be around 0.50mm2, right click tell me to conect to the grey and yellow cables as per image sent to them of loom = Nothing.
Most wiring diagrams and people on here tell me to conect to the White and blue? but I don't have these two colours in the same size wire, the closest I have is the light grey/white stripe lock wire, most strange, but it works! no fires yet.
wire colours are from aftermarket unit to car loom:
White to Gray/White Strip = lock
White/Black to Blue = Unlock

Just in case you get stuck.
Thanks every one for your input and help.
Chris

So technically as originally stated...

white to lock

blue to unlock

Not quite! still no white that locks the door Grey/White stripe yes and not 0.75mm2, thinner, I have a roll of cable in my garage which is 0.65mm2 this grey/white is slightly thinner again possibly around 50 maybe 55mm2, not sure what wiring is in the footwell, age wise but a lot of it did not corispond to your list of wire which should be there, nore did it corsipond to most of the wiring diagrams we dug up, incidenatlly it did not unlock from the Blue wire in the door skin either, but it did from a purple/White in the door skin, which when traced to the footwell changed to the Blue, going off the reel of wire I have these two in the door skin where about the same thickness so around 65mm2, the wiring in places on this car seems to be a bit of a mish mash but as the Seat lad said to me the same sometimes happens in seat seems they run out of one particular loom so they make do with another save stopping the line to restock Toledos seem to be the worst for it, on Seat cars.
So Technically I would have to disagree, colour wise on this instance, even a Fiat dealership told us once we had explained wire colours it will be the Grey and Yellow wires giving problems Fiat never had a grey and a white together for locking it was either Blue & White or Grey & Yellow that was direct from the Electrics man but he confirmed as you did they would be of the same thickness, it is very difficult to give help via email as you need to be their really yourself as when difficulties arise it is usually because something is not as it should be in this case the wire colours don't seem to match up, but hey you know everyone has put a bit of info in and it is great as you get to see a bigger picture of the problem, so as I said thanks to everyone who helped and tossed ideas around till the job was done, how a Grey/white can go to a white only and change wire thickness in the process I don't know and I bet nobody else would have seen that one either, possibly something to do with the complete respray it has had at some time, perhaps it was more than purely cosmetic!(y)

Last edited:
Back