How do you find out which fairy light has gone?

Currently reading:
How do you find out which fairy light has gone?

At the moment I'm just taking each one out to see if the rest of them work. But atm none of them are working?

Any ideas???:bang:

Mains fuse, transformer, broken wire... wont be bulb as they are wired in parallel not series.(y)

This means that just the bulb with a broken element would have failed & that would be obvious.

Last edited:
dont stand on em :p

my dad stood on one... cracked it.. then somehow managed to stand on the glass and cut his foot... making blood go all over mums cream carpet :rolleyes:

If it's traditional fairy lights (240v, no transformer), then usually the bulb closet to the plug is a fuse bulb, indicated by having a white tip. If that blows, then they all go off. Any other bulb blowing (on its own) will not stop the lights coming on. However, if too many normal bulbs go, it can cause the fuse bulb to go. So check the fuse bulb first, then check as many others as possible. You should be able to check them by sight alone, though this is not always the case.

Mains fuse, transformer, broken wire... wont be bulb as they are wired in parallel not series.(y)

This means that just the bulb with a broken element would have failed & that would be obvious.

The main set we have at home are strung in series, albeit 8 series' on one loom...

If it's traditional fairy lights (240v, no transformer), then usually the bulb closet to the plug is a fuse bulb, indicated by having a white tip. If that blows, then they all go off. Any other bulb blowing (on its own) will not stop the lights coming on. However, if too many normal bulbs go, it can cause the fuse bulb to go. So check the fuse bulb first, then check as many others as possible. You should be able to check them by sight alone, though this is not always the case.

The above are good points well presented, I forgot about the old "full mains" lights with the white tipped fused lights. Seems all the later ones (last 3 - 4 years have a transformer for H&S reasons (like people hanging them across the windows and garage outside in the elements)

if its only a small set swap in one good bulb at a time till you find it just don't do what i do :eek: pull one bulb at a time out and stick a 1000V insulated screw driver across the internal terminals :eek:

there are various voltage detectors on the market but they cost more than a new set.....

get yourself a 9v battery and take each bulb out and put it accross the battery for a second - if the bulb is good it will light, if it's duff it won't ;)

Back