Technical Dashboard dials all dead!

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard dials all dead!

amanda aird

stilo dashboard

Hi there new to this site, i have owned my 02 plate stilo (1.2) for just under 3 years.
last week the dashboard died on me,
has this ever happened to anyone, i have been advised that the "cluster" behind my dash need replacing

im thinking this will be expensive, its booked into fiat next week but i havnt the first idea how much this is gonna cost me

any ideas

cheers

Re: stilo dashboard

I am currently wrestling with the (devils dash) problem.

Yesterday I bought a full instrument cluster from a vehicle dismantler for £58.75
It looks quite simple to fit, remove the plastic steering column covers, undo the two lower and two upper screws that hold the cluster in and pull out. We shall see tonight when I get home, weather permitting. Will post success :) or failure :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Just took me 3/4 hour to change the instrument cluster. Please see my other thread for more info.
Only required an allen key and a philips screwdriver.
Don't ditch the car for something relatively cheap.

so what your saying is dont take to a dealer, try and pick one up from the scrapyard?

i need to act quick here as its booked in for the morning, but instead i could just tour the local scrap yards and try and find one, or is there somewhere else i could try

cheers

Get out the Yellow Pages and ring round. I tried 5 scrapyeards before I found one and a round trip of 60 miles. I presume there are different dashes for the different engines (red lines on the rev counter etc) so make sure you tell them the model and engine size etc.
Mine came with a 30 day warranty and was £50 +VAT. A scrapper on ebay tried to sell me one for £130. Proves the 'shop local' adage.

Good luck

T14086 said:
Correct Rroope.

Amanda.....why are you trading it in? problems occur with cars its a fact of life.Get one from breakers (£70) + £40 fitting and proxy-alignment at dealership.

T, will it work just like that then? I mean, if I get one then proxi it, will it pick up the features of mine and delete the ones off the previous car (e.g. if it had parking sensors which mine hasn't got)? Also, take it I need to find one with a mileage lower than mine or else the miles will add on . . .

Please confirm, thanks :D

just want to say a HUGE thanx for your help.

new cluster £50

fitted £25

tremendous saving

this site is superb im so chuffed

cheers again

amanda

Stilo Dashboard died?

First the rev counter and speedo, fuel gauge and temp gauge stopped working. Next day the clock and the rest of the display stopped other than the warning lights. Any ideas?

Re: Stilo Dashboard died?

Update. All working again but the time is flashing and its wrong + the date now says 1st Jan. Any ideas because my guess is that its going to fail again soon.

The car has sat on the driveway for 24 hours between the two conditions. I have started it a couple of times yesterday and it started fine so I am not sure about voltage drop.

Sounds like your instrument cluster has lost communication temporarily and found it again (bad connection at the rear of the insrument cluster?). I think you may need a proxi alignment from examiner to re synch the instrument cluster to the body computer.

The local garage says come along and they will put it on their machine (examiner) which can tell if it has a bad connection because these sorts are logged within its brain. Is this true or am I going to take it there, pay my money and they say no, no fault detected, bring it back when it does it again.

If it is a proper Examiner then it will display if it needs proxi alignment and, once realigned, you'll be on your way. It can only detect logged faults if it's actually been logged, not all faults are

OK well it has happened again and the garage says its the dashboard and that I need a new one (£263.12 + + = £385.54). They say I cannot buy one form a second hand place because it has to be re-aligned by their computer? Is this true?

Regards

You can use a second hand instrument cluster (of the same type) but it has to be proxi aligned i.e. tuned in to all the other nodes and mileage transferred over etc so you'll need Examiner somewhere along the way
stilo clocks.jpg

Last edited:

Reading through old threads got me thinking; the mileage issue. My car has 34K on it, so if I get a cluster with 66K, can the mileage be lowered on the examiner??

Back