Technical X 1/9 Voltage Regulator?

Currently reading:
Technical X 1/9 Voltage Regulator?

JAGRC

I have recently purchased a 79 X 1/9, after finding the charging system is not working I pulled the alternator and took it in for testing. What we got was the alternator was putting out 11.3v and not kicking on. So this leads me to beleive the voltage regulator is shot. Now I think it is an external regulator but I am not sure. Could somebody please tell me if my alternator is externaly regulated, and if it is where the regulator is located?

JAGRC said:
I have recently purchased a 79 X 1/9, after finding the charging system is not working I pulled the alternator and took it in for testing. What we got was the alternator was putting out 11.3v and not kicking on. So this leads me to beleive the voltage regulator is shot. Now I think it is an external regulator but I am not sure. Could somebody please tell me if my alternator is externaly regulated, and if it is where the regulator is located?

My '78 X1/9 was externally regulated but I think it was not long after that the regulators became internal. If the regulator is external it will be in the rear boot/trunk
on the outer wall closest to the alternator. If external, make sure the ground to the body is good before you throw it away.

I have checked there and not found it, my X19 rolled off the line 10/78 I cannot find the voltage regulator anywhere. There id deffinatly not one internal. I am seriously thinking about wiring my alternator from my 89 Mustang LX 5.0 which is internaly regulated. I am learning to hate this little car very quickly. In the week that I have owned it the shifter linkage has now gone out and reverse is no longer there, and the car has developed an intermitten miss. ARG stupid Fiat!

The alternator should indeed have an internal regulator, it's part of the diode pack. Skilled auto electricians should be able to test and fix it, but I think I'd just go for another alternator (rebuild with new brushes and bearings first). At least it's really easy to get to on an X1/9!

There's so little to go wrong with the shift linkage - it's just one rod! The plastic ball at the base of the lever might have popped through it's housing? Try pulling up on the lever?

Reverse may have failed inside the gearbox (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) as they're not very strong. It all depends on whether you can get fifth or not... if you can get fifth, I don't think it can be the linkage.

Replace and adjust the points?

These are now basically old cars and so they are going to be rather stupid and hateable compared with Jap tin!

No, I think the number-one thing to hate about the X1/9 (mine, anyway) is swelling rust bubbles... in the doors and the windscreen frame. If you don't have these, you're fine. :)

-Alex

Are you sure it's internal? I am looking at the thing and seeing nothing that looks like a regulator... Once again stupid Fiat! :D As far as the reverse goes when I try to put it in reverse I end up in 4th instead, hence my though of the linkage being messed up, I'll check it tonight (my Fiat has been sitting at my shop for a week now having paid no attention to it at all) I was told the voltage regulator is next to the fuse box, which is no help to me because I cannot find the stupid fuse box. By the way the japs can keep their little rice burners I would much rather have American muscle (Fiat being the one exception)

Well I am free of the Fiat, gave the POS back to the guy I bought it from. WOW what a hunk of garbage! You guys are insane for even thinking about liking these gutless junk cars! Good ridance!!!

Back