General fiat 500 and group 0+ car seats

Currently reading:
General fiat 500 and group 0+ car seats

natkay2603

hello, we are in need of a group 0+ car seat for baby due in may but are unsure whiich ones come recomended for the 500 or those that'd even fit, we were thinking of looking at either the maxi cosi cabriofix (isofix) or the bebeconfort creatis.fix (prefered as looking at gettin bebeconfort loola up pushchair) but dont know if they'll even fit through the chair back and car gap to go on back seat or fit on front seat?! any advice or suggestions much appreciated! many thanks

i dont think anyone would recomend putting a newborn childseat in the front of any car but if you do make sure you de activate the passanger side airbag. also i see you'r getting a sport who's front seats are pretty bolstered anyway so you will not get a good fit in the front. isofix in the back is definatley the way to go if you visit you'r local toys r us they will test fit any car seat they have so you can see how much space you have in you'r car, free of charge and they recieve regular training on how to properly fit a car seat, hope this helps

I had Mamas and Papas car seat and had it in a Ka, PT Cruiser, Ford Focus, Ford Puma - all with no problems, both in front and back. I would definitely recommend it. Didn't put in back of a 500 though, perhaps you could test drive the 500 to mothercare and try the car seat? That's what I would do.

I believe (although if wrong i apologise) that you still need to put the seatbelt round the back of the baby seat even though the base is Isofix - in other words you leave the base on the car seat and then 'click' the baby seat onto it and put seatbelt around. In my Ka (3 door) I had him in the front as was easier than climbing in and out - but it didn't have an airbag, although in the 500 you can deactivate.

Good luck with impending arrival.

Last edited:
We are currently using a M&P Primo Viaggio SIP with the surefix base, (for our other recent arrival-our granddaughter :D) it does fit on the back seat as it should but its a real struggle to actually get into the back seat!

We have leather and the seats don't really fold enough to get the baby seat in, it touches the back of the seat and the car body at the same time, also when the seat is in, the passenger seat has to be as far forward as it goes and it still touches the baby seat!

The seat fits in the front (without the base and with airbag off) but its a real stretch on the seatbelt and the seat doen't sit at the correct angle because the belt is tight even with the seat all the way back.

The M&P is a big seat though, as suggested go to a number of shops and try before you buy

Cheers

have u rang the dealer and asked if there are any recomended for the 500?, if not britax have a fit-finder http://www.britax.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fitfinder&home=1&Itemid=62 just remember the front has no isofix though and you MUST de activate the airbag otherwise you are breaking the law. and remember don't buy a seat just because it matches you would rather have a safe child over style , re: the comment about the front seatbelt length have you tried it with the seat pushed all the way back this should give more length on the seatbelt,

Last edited:
just remember the front has no isofix though and you MUST de activate the airbag otherwise you are breaking the law.

not only are you breaking the law by leaving the airbag active, you are putting the child in huge danger, the force of the airbag will wallop into the baby seat and send it crashing towards the passenger seat, causing the baby severe neck and other injuries.

not only are you breaking the law by leaving the airbag active, you are putting the child in huge danger, the force of the airbag will wallop into the baby seat and send it crashing towards the passenger seat, causing the baby severe neck and other injuries.

Can't seriously think though that anyone on here WOULD put a child in the front with the airbag activated - it is a child friendly feature of the car that you can turn it off.

Just a note though, it is illegal for a child under 3 to go in the front seat unless in a child restraint (i.e. group 0 and 1 seats) - this does not include booster seats .... our son who isn't 3 until jan cannot go in the front seat regardless of airbag or not as he is in a booster seat not a child restraint ..... seems silly when he is taller than most 3 year olds but it's the law. Altho probably a good thing otherwise he'd be leaning forward and turning all my buttons on and off and being generally annoying. Perhaps I'll tell him he can't go in the front until he's 18! lol

Last edited:
I have a MaxiCosi Cabriofix which fits the rear seat. I don't use the isofix base though.

The space is very tight though and the only way to get the car seat in is via the driver's seat. It will absolutely not fit via the passenger's side as it will not fold forward enough to let the car seat through.

just an update : I had to move my son into the front seat in a massive 2.5 hour traffic jam last thursday and the although the booster seat fitted onto the seat, due to the leather seats being a sport shape in the front it doesn't sit onto the seat very well. With my son in it it did go down a bit into the shape of the seat but obviously won't sit as well as in the back. Consequently I've decided only to have in the front in an emergency (like last thursday when we had lots of wee accidents and I could deal with them easier in the front when stationary in the jam). The booster seat fits lovely on the rear seats.

Did you find a baby seat that fitted in the end? (i gave up taking my son out in the baby seat part after about two months anyway as he was too heavy, so just left the seat in my old car and lifted him out instead if that's any help .... those baby seats are soooo heavy!)

Back