Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Currently reading:
Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Anyone know any better methods than below, or anything I should do differently?

1.Disconnect negative then positive terminals.
2.Pour on baking soda and water mix.
3.Agitate with small wire brush.
4.Rinse off with warm water.
5.Reconnect terminals positve then negative.
6.Cover with petroleum jelly to prevent more corrosion.

Punto wont start help please

Hi all not sure about posting here so if need be can some one from Admin please move to the right place, Help Guys my daughters N reg Punto 55 has just stopped working today, she was parked up with the engine running waiting for a mate and when she put her foot down to drive away the car stalled and wont start again, the key wont turn the starter motor and the battery isnt flat weve tried towing it to jump start but it still wont fire up the engine isnt seized as it will turn over with a push or when you rock it but wont turn over with the key, RAC say starter is US but shouldent it still start with a tow? there is plenty of petrol in the car, it only gives one click when you turn the key as if it has a flat battery but i dought its the battery as i would have thought it would have started with Jump leads or a tow, i dont really want to go out and get a new starter for it then find out its something else, any ideas much appreciated thanks Steve

Re: Punto wont start help please

Hi all not sure about posting here so if need be can some one from Admin please move to the right place, Help Guys my daughters N reg Punto 55 has just stopped working today, she was parked up with the engine running waiting for a mate and when she put her foot down to drive away the car stalled and wont start again, the key wont turn the starter motor and the battery isnt flat weve tried towing it to jump start but it still wont fire up the engine isnt seized as it will turn over with a push or when you rock it but wont turn over with the key, RAC say starter is US but shouldent it still start with a tow? there is plenty of petrol in the car, it only gives one click when you turn the key as if it has a flat battery but i dought its the battery as i would have thought it would have started with Jump leads or a tow, i dont really want to go out and get a new starter for it then find out its something else, any ideas much appreciated thanks Steve

If you starter is gone the key should still turn and you just get a faint 'click' coming from the starter unit.

Try the followig to tow start the car, switch the igntion on so all the dash lights come up, put in in secondgear and put the cluctch down, push the car along then lift the cluctch and the engine should fire up.

I'm assuming your key still turns in the ignition barrel.

Could a mod move this to new post please(y)

I hadn't either till I had a look round the web, longa s you rinse it off shouldn't be a problem.

Some people were advocating dr pepper to clean it:yum::eek:

What ever is wrong with wire wool? How on earth did anyone ever come up with the idea of using a fizzy drink to clean battery terminals? I found a link about using baking soda and I'd be wanting to remove the battery before splashing water around it.

A quick clean with a rag and a bit of wirewool always does the trick for me (haven't I already said this :)) Terminals are usually made of lead which is so soft any abbrasive will have them nice a shiney within seconds. Off course you do need to remove the cables where the link I found seem to show they couldn't be arsed.

What ever is wrong with wire wool? How on earth did anyone ever come up with the idea of using a fizzy drink to clean battery terminals? I found a link about using baking soda and I'd be wanting to remove the battery before splashing water around it.

A quick clean with a rag and a bit of wirewool always does the trick for me (haven't I already said this :)) Terminals are usually made of lead which is so soft any abbrasive will have them nice a shiney within seconds. Off course you do need to remove the cables where the link I found seem to show they couldn't be arsed.

or use coca cola

Back