General Squealing Brakes

Currently reading:
General Squealing Brakes

Highlander

Here we go again, as the car gets to a stop the brakes squeal like hell. I had the same prob on the Panda, and finished up having to put a chamfet on the leading edge. Now if I can do it why cant Fiat design a brake pad that wont squeal.
Apart from that the wee car runs like a dream, and is so much quieter inside after the Panda Sporting M/jet.

The only other prob was the PAINTWORK. (keeping it clean) my wife chose the yellow, and the birds in the area seem to use it for target practice..lol

Cheers Ian

please be careful using copper slip on the pads... maybe best to use a dedicated brake cleaner?

please be careful using copper slip on the pads... maybe best to use a dedicated brake cleaner?

Coppaslip is used to dampen the vibrations that occur in the braking components, it is these vibrations that manifest themselved as the squeal. Most newer cars have adhesive pads on the back of the brake pads and/or springs to help dampen these vibrations.

Cleaning the brakes will not necessarily help the situation and could in some cases make the problem worse. However, as a cautionary note I agree that you need to be careful that the copper grease or equivalent should be used sparingly and care taken to ensure that it does not get onto to any of the friction surfaces.

I didnt know most of that I just know that its best not to use copper slip on the friction surfaces! Cheers.

Back