General DRLs - a Question

Currently reading:
General DRLs - a Question

baxwalker

500 - It wrecks your hair
I'm probably being rather naive here but can someone explain (in Laymans terms please) the DRLs and whether they are something I have to switch on or program etc. There are no lights on at present while I am driving, unless I switch the headlights on) . (I am thinking that DRL stands for something like Daytime Driving Lights)

Thanks in advance :)

Daytime Running Lights

Its a soon to be mandatory EC directive, so they will start appearing soon on all cars.

You can program them on and off in the menu.

Interesting to read in the paper that many European countries have found that since the use of DRL's has been compulsory it has pushed up accident figures by quite a margin. From what I remember Austria has now repealed the law.

Interesting to read in the paper that many European countries have found that since the use of DRL's has been compulsory it has pushed up accident figures by quite a margin. From what I remember Austria has now repealed the law.

They were compulsory in Austria in 2007 when I went, although people were saying they didnt like them and that they may be causing accidents, hence the idea may get withdrawn.

How do they cause accidents - any theries or news?

I used to have on the lights (not main beam but the side lights) nearly all the time when I had a small dark car and did a lot of rural driving when it was overcast or similar - I think people will always notice you better.

Back