General Anti roll bar bush???

Currently reading:
General Anti roll bar bush???

murkeywaters

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this forum and what a great forum it is,

Lots of you guys seem really well informed and that is just what i'm looking for at the moment so i hope one of you can help...

Basically i have a Marea 2001 JTD 110 weekend and i have the usual knocking on the front end, i have had a good ol digg around the front susp and found that the culprit is the anti roll bar bushes (mounting bush) on the drivers side (not the drop links)

What i want to know is can i buy this part as i have heard they are hard to come by, or will any other bush from another car fit (bravo , brava etc etc) just the rubber would do as i have already had the bush mount off and separated.

I really dont want to change the whole anti roll bar just cause one bush is worn + its pricey and a bit of a pig to fit.

I'm hoping one of you guys have already done this job and sussed out a alternative part!!

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers Murky ;)

the rubber wears over time, allowing play. once the mount is seperated you can use something to take up the slack before putting it back together, for example a pice of rubber mat under the original bush (technically its a buffer not a bush). some people take the easy option and push a wedge (wood/plastic/whatever) into the mount between the bush and the subframe. that works too. once i even used a bit of hosepipe to take up the slack, and that worked fine. alternatively you can go to a scrapyard and try to find a good condition rubber buffer to use (should cost a couple of quid if you remove it yourself).

Last edited:
The Marea ARB mounts are tacked onto the subframe if I remember correctly?
yeah tiny spot welds i think, but once the bolts are off those welds are easily snapped by levering a large flat blade driver between the subframe and bracket. this would also be easier with the subframe dropped rather than fitted.

Thanks Lads,

Think i'll take the easy option to start with by "packing it out" with some dence rubber sheet from work and see how that goes, i bet the drop link on that side is worn now as well!!

Thanks again all..(y)

My Marea failed it's MoT due to excessive play in the ARB bushes. No worries, I thought, coz I was sure I'd read on here how to replace the bushes even though FIAT want you to buy the whole shooting match.

Garage phoned me to say they couldn't do the bushes on their own as the brackets holding them on were spot welded. Maybe they were looking to flog me a new ARB. I told them I'd read on here about a work around and that bushes were available on Ebay (and elsewhere?) He asked me if I could provide him with a link to the thread on the forum. Search as I did I couldn't find the thread. I did find plenty of threads on the subject of ARB bushes but no definitive answer as to how to replace the bushes.

Can anyone tell me how to replace these bushes? Do you pop the spot weld, slot in the new bushes and then drill and bolt on the bracket holding the bush to the ARB or what? That seems to be the solution the garage are looking at. They are going to try and source bushes on Monday for me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Bit outdated I know but when I got my weekedn the anti-roll bar had 3 x screws holding it down!!!!!

Un screwed them and the whole bar slid from side to side.

In the end after a very expensive quote from fiat for the whole thing I went to my local ca rshop and he gave me some random rubber mounts.

I got 2 x ford ones and used a knife to cut them to size. Did take a while mind!

after slicing and dicing I put them in and screwed them down tight, all seems ok at the moment apart from suspension is knackered and types wearing out.

Just make sure the anti-roll bar is equal on each side when you tighten it back up.

Darren

Bit outdated I know but when I got my weekedn the anti-roll bar had 3 x screws holding it down!!!!!

Un screwed them and the whole bar slid from side to side.

In the end after a very expensive quote from fiat for the whole thing I went to my local ca rshop and he gave me some random rubber mounts.

I got 2 x ford ones and used a knife to cut them to size. Did take a while mind!

after slicing and dicing I put them in and screwed them down tight, all seems ok at the moment apart from suspension is knackered and types wearing out.

Just make sure the anti-roll bar is equal on each side when you tighten it back up.

Darren

You don't need to do that, you can find those ones on silentblocks.com

Back