General Fiat Punto MK1 speedo problems

Currently reading:
General Fiat Punto MK1 speedo problems

fiatpunto123

Hi there,

I'm the proud owner of a Fiat Punto MK1, it's a P reg but it's developed a bit of a problem with the speedo.

Basically the speedo only works properly when I've got loads of petrol in, if it's below a quarter of a tank the speedo will sometimes not show the correct speed. It either gets stuck at 20mph or it will flip around going from 0mph right up to 120mph. The problem can be solved momentarilly by pressing the top of the plastic screen that protects the dials, but once released again the speedo will jump around again. This causes the milage to clock over with the speed the speedo shows too.

It's obviously not a massive problem as it doesn't do it all the time, I was just wondering if anyone's had any similar problems? How was it fixed? How much did it cost? Did you do it yourself?

Hopefully someone can help me out, if I've not explained it too well say and I'll have another crack at it. Cheers.

i would have said it's the speed that's faulty but as you said it's effected buy the fuel in the car maybe a power or earth problem to the dash pod

is it doing it maybe when the fuel light is on maybe if the light is just using up what little power it had to work if there is a wiring problem

you can easily remove the dash pod with a 3mm allen key and on the back there are 4 plugs worth checking them for corosion or any problems

the plugs plug onto wafer thin circuits flexible type stretched over plastic plates so be careful removing and replacing the plugs as it's posible to rib or damage the circuit

also you cant mix them up they are all like a key only fit one place if you don't find anything with the plugs have a look at the single wires within the circuit running all across the back of the dash and make sure non are burned or discoloured in any way

Hi,

I have the same problem with the speedo. Did you ever get it fixed or figure out why it does this?

Hi there,

I'm the proud owner of a Fiat Punto MK1, it's a P reg but it's developed a bit of a problem with the speedo.

Basically the speedo only works properly when I've got loads of petrol in, if it's below a quarter of a tank the speedo will sometimes not show the correct speed. It either gets stuck at 20mph or it will flip around going from 0mph right up to 120mph. The problem can be solved momentarilly by pressing the top of the plastic screen that protects the dials, but once released again the speedo will jump around again. This causes the milage to clock over with the speed the speedo shows too.

It's obviously not a massive problem as it doesn't do it all the time, I was just wondering if anyone's had any similar problems? How was it fixed? How much did it cost? Did you do it yourself?

Hopefully someone can help me out, if I've not explained it too well say and I'll have another crack at it. Cheers.

Back