General Gearbox Oil Leak

Currently reading:
General Gearbox Oil Leak

Nucleo

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. My first car is a Fiat Punto 2001 Mk2, 57k miles in black!

Well, had it for 3 weeks, went to drive off from my place, bit of a wheel spin, 2 seconds later im pouring out something from under the car!

pulled over to find some fluid just spraying from under the engine, I managed to reverse it back to my drive and called a friend who is a mechanic. He told me that the fluid is gearbox oil and that one of my 2 seals had ruptured... He could purchase parts and fit them for me.

The thing is, upon driving back, i could hear a spitting noise, is this normal?

Now, I spilled a shedload of oil, im talking tyre-thick streams down the street, guessing im going to need some more oil too, can anyone recommend any? Im based in Notts so will be getting some at some point.

Thanks

PS, I miss not driving to work... ITS KILLING ME!

Last edited:
well, i've just been informed by my friend mechanic that there is a hole in the gearbox where the dif has come through? I know nothing about cars, how much would this cost to repair?

New gearbox. Have a look on ebay or any local scrap yards/breakers/gearbox rebuilders.

omg

sounds like diff has lost something and put hole in the casing most likely a bolt coming lose on crown wheel very unusual

new box time or if your mechanic friend is feeling technical you could find a casing from a scraper maybe nackered box and swap internals that way you keep your ratios and can use any 524 casing virtually with few exceptions otherwise you will have to find one off same car as yours

hey all, thanks for the replies.
it is getting fixed this evening by the dealor on a 50/50 basis, so its only costing me £150 for parts & labour :slayer:

Back