General Alloy wheel buckled

Currently reading:
General Alloy wheel buckled

Singh!

I need a new alloy for my 2003 Mk2b Active sport, they look a little different to sporting alloys i think,
I went to get this annoying vibration through the steering wheel checked today i thought it was the balencing but it turns out the front left wheel is buckled!!

I cant really afford a new one so i havnt checked the price from fiat, does anyone have one sitting around that they want to sell/ could sell??

Or if someone could point me in the right direction of where to get a new one, that would be great. Cheers!

Theres a pic of one

Attachments

• IMG_1304.2.JPG
    IMG_1304.2.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 54
The one on the classfields of the black sporting, the alloys look different
But the Grande sporting wheels look nice, i wonder what size they are and if they would fit

hmmm the look nice but are they really worth £200, i just wanted one new alloy :(

You'll be lucky to just find one tbh, they do look fairly unique. Obviously try fleabay but the problem you'll have anywhere is that people will be selling sets of 4 as they will be upgrading all of them at once

Edit: Oh, and I would pay £200 as the rubber has only covered 4k and there seems to be no obvious kerbing. You'll be lucky to get a set of decent looking wheels for less, even without rubber

Last edited:
hmm this kinda sucks, i really don't have that much money at the moment :(
Do you reckon it will damage the car at all if i leave it for a while?
It only really vibrates the steering wheel at 70mph+

whats the name of this 'place' lol and i thought most people dont repair buckled wheels?

hmm they seem a little pricey, im going to email them, it might just be worth getting those fairly new alloys off the classfields

Ive just dropped off my car at bjv engineering, you didnt tell me that the roads getting there were soo bad! lol
They are charging me £110 to fully refurb the front two wheels, i thought i'd do that instead of just getting the buckle out seeing as they were going to charge £60.
Ill repost some pics of the finished result

Buckled wheels usually cannot be refurbed IIRC. If the tyre is good go to a dealer and buy a single alloy you may be pleasantly surprised. Probably about £80.

Failing that get a whole set of mk2a Sporting alloys (I got the whole set WITH tyres for £50!!). I then got the painted and they look the nuts IMO:-

IMAGE_020.jpg

Last edited:
Ive just dropped off my car at bjv engineering, you didnt tell me that the roads getting there were soo bad! lol
They are charging me £110 to fully refurb the front two wheels, i thought i'd do that instead of just getting the buckle out seeing as they were going to charge £60.
Ill repost some pics of the finished result

they want people to buckle their tyres they make more money then:p

how or where did you paint them? they look nice :D how much it cost?

DIY job(y)

update:
Wheels are mint now! look brand new! no kerbing marks anymore!
And the buckle has been sorted and they were fully balenced again, it drove sooo smooth up here to uni (165miles (m25/m4)) even at 90mph plus there was no vibration, wicked job :D

well i never

my dad had a buckle on an aloy so he got a dead blow hammer and gave it just the one allmighty wak

and then gave it a spin and perfect straight again

hit alloy to many times and it crumbles lol

i do it regularly at work straightening steel wheels out for people only minor normally thou it's quite easy to do but alloy i wouldnt touch

i'm guessing this spot uses some sort of hydraulic press tool to push pull wheels back in line

hit alloy to many times and it crumbles lol

i do it regularly at work straightening steel wheels out for people only minor normally thou it's quite easy to do but alloy i wouldnt touch

i'm guessing this spot uses some sort of hydraulic press tool to push pull wheels back in line

I had some buckled wheels straightened once (FWIW, in Cambridge, NZ). The same shop used to true motorcycle wheels (presumably by working around all the spokes). For all I know, they could have used a hammer - but it worked :)

The alloy used for wheels is made especially soft so that it's very unlikely to crack. This means it's also possible to straighten. In the 70's, alloy wheels were much more special, comprising mostly magnesium, and they were probably more brittle than today's wheels. Perhaps that is why many people won't touch buckled alloy wheels?

-Alex

Back