General DRLs off now... too dangerous!

Currently reading:
General DRLs off now... too dangerous!

For the third time since I got the car, someone pulled out in front of me today and then realising I wasnt stopping started shouting "but you flashed me" and pointing at the DRLs... so they are now off for good. I think they are perhaps too bright and do look like a headlamp to the uninformed maybe? Anyway, they are staying off unless they do become compulsory at some stage. Maybe a smaller wattage bulb would have been better...

Highway code.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

DRLs are just some cheap feature designed to make audi's look more 'flashy'.

But as Clarkson says "makes it look like a council house at christmas" with regards to the audi R8

Leave em off.

The Christmas tree analogy is only really appropriate on the R8 because of the LED units.

Last edited:
Highway code.

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

We know that, but everyone uses flashing lights to let people out etc. I reckon its the bouncy ride, you hit a small bump and the DRLs sort of look like they have flashed?

DRLs are just some cheap feature designed to make audi's look more 'flashy'.

Rubbish. They're not LED like the R8, and have been used on Volvo's for years!

Highway code.

:yeahthat:! :mad:

We know that, but everyone uses flashing lights to let people out etc. I reckon its the bouncy ride, you hit a small bump and the DRLs sort of look like they have flashed?

Headlight can do the same when on. Shouldn't matter.

mine were never on but i'll be using them when the early dark night's come round again good feature but would be better on the stalk with the headlamp's

Why will you be using them only when the evening draw in? Should have your headlights on in poor visiability, not your DRL's!

Why would they be better on the headlamp stalk?

LED jet washers that you have on chav cars, I consider to be very dangerous as the intial "what is that" factor causes you to look in that direction. That split second distraction can the difference between stopping in good time or going in to the back of someone.

As the only cars I have seen on the road with DRL's have been audi's I also think they are dangerous, as with undercar neons and naked (female) pedestrians.

LED jet washers that you have on chav cars, I consider to be very dangerous as the intial "what is that" factor causes you to look in that direction. That split second distraction can the difference between stopping in good time or going in to the back of someone.

As the only cars I have seen on the road with DRL's have been audi's I also think they are dangerous, as with undercar neons and naked (female) pedestrians.

Agreed with the jet washer light things, but how are the LED DRL's on the Audi's dangerous :confused:

I always drive my Cinqs on sidelights - the DRL's are a proper solution to what I have doing for years to be seen and stop people pulling out on me.

I still get old codgers flashing their lights at me.

Mine are staying on, they are a safety feature.

Consider this - might the insurers reagard NOT using them as contributary negligance?

I've had a few people flash me with me having my DRL's on, thing is because of them flashing me I nearly had an accident wondering what they were flashing to me about. Like whats been said, some people are just thick.

Back