General seicento not firing on 2 and 3 cylinder

Currently reading:
General seicento not firing on 2 and 3 cylinder

nokiaman2002

Just got a 2001 Y reg seicento 1108cc SX sporting, wasnt firing on 2 and 3 cylinder so changed both coils, when i remove the wiring harness going to the front coil controlling 2 and 3 cylinder when idling nothing changed the idle speed when i disconnect the second coil further away controlling 1 and 4 cylinder it stalls thus 2 and 3 not firing although it is sparking just changed plugs and leads and waiting to test again - anybody experienced same problem and know what it might be???

welcome to the forum.

if you've lost two cylinders both connected to the one coil pack then its quite safe to assume the fault is the coil pack - but should be tested first by swapping the wiring harness connections over, and the HT leads. So the rear coil is controlling 2 and 3.

are you saying you've replaced both coils and the fault is still there? Could be an ECU fault, or fault on the cable for the front coil pack.

yes thats right 2 new coils new plugs and leads but get this - when i put the injector wiring from the working 1 and 4 cylinders onto 2 and 3 cylinders they fire up! maybe i should reset the ECU as they are 2 new coil packs

welcome to the forum.

if you've lost two cylinders both connected to the one coil pack then its quite safe to assume the fault is the coil pack - but should be tested first by swapping the wiring harness connections over, and the HT leads. So the rear coil is controlling 2 and 3.

are you saying you've replaced both coils and the fault is still there? Could be an ECU fault, or fault on the cable for the front coil pack.

oh and to make things more interesting the front coil pack which i suspect of being faulty does spark to the leads! does the ecu need resetting do you think and how do i go about it

oh and to make things more interesting the front coil pack which i suspect of being faulty does spark to the leads! does the ecu need resetting do you think and how do i go about it

Not sure if an ecu reset will cure it, but here goes:

Disconnect the negative battary lead.
Leave it unplugged for about 20mins (some people suggest longer, but I've found 20 mins to be sufficient).
Reconnect.
:D

ok well ecu reset didnt do anything eng management light still on.if i diconnect the injector yellow plugs fron the firing 1 and 4 cylinders and place them on 2and 3 they fire on 2 and 3 then.if head had gone between these two then they wouldnt fire.time for some more digging i think

ok well ecu reset didnt do anything eng management light still on.if i diconnect the injector yellow plugs fron the firing 1 and 4 cylinders and place them on 2and 3 they fire on 2 and 3 then.if head had gone between these two then they wouldnt fire.time for some more digging i think

So it had naff all to do with the coils in the first place? It's a wiring fault....... probably.

sorry just explain that one?seems to b something on the cylinder 2 and 3 coil but not the coil.never had anything like this before

The coils have a permanent live supply once the main relay is energised by switching on the ignition.

The ECU controls the negative side of the coil. So you should see a supply to the coils with the ignition on.

Cheers

PD

is there a different relay for each coil or just one relay? if so where are they located, are they under the screw-off plate at top right hand side of engine bay as you look at it? 2 red relays one is cooling fan relay i know that - further more my mate took a look tonight as i was working and found one lead to be sparking like hell and shorting out - they are new leads too! keep you posted on this

OK got myself an RAC fault code reader from argos today part number 740/2742 - AMAZING piece of kit you have to get one - told me that P0352 fault - Ignition coil B Circuit Malfunction. Getting closer to the fault. anyway know what this might be - it has had 2 new coils, leads plugs, compression test was brilliant, fuses checked etc - any wierd faults it could be???

OK got myself an RAC fault code reader from argos today part number 740/2742 - AMAZING piece of kit you have to get one - told me that P0352 fault - Ignition coil B Circuit Malfunction. Getting closer to the fault. anyway know what this might be - it has had 2 new coils, leads plugs, compression test was brilliant, fuses checked etc - any wierd faults it could be???

just because there's a problem being flagged with that number - doesn't mean that it's the coil.

Try greasing the contacts with vaseline - if that doesn't work I'd say you need to take back the wiring from that coil all the way to the ecu end of the loom and replace it.

OOO, an amazing piece of kit that tells you pretty much what you were told on here.

Hope its worth the money.

Pah

Cheers

PD

Back