General New 500 :) - And a couple of Questions

Currently reading:
General New 500 :) - And a couple of Questions

pearce_jj

Established member
Evening all

Finally collected my 500 :) - couple of piccies below.

A couple of queries though:

1. Steering wheel and gear knob are white leather which I'm guessing will get quite dirty. What can they be cleaned with? All the potions in Halfords for leather say don't use on steering wheels.

2. There is a resonance at about 2,500rpm - like a fizzing or fuzzing sound, maybe from the passenger door card (interior anyway) - anyone had this before? It's the diesel so I guess it will settle a little as the engine mounts settle in and stuff.

Thanks!
James

IMG_1257_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1262_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

Man I'm Jealous !! Ill get mine only by November end here in INDIA, the main sales head told me that INDIA is a new market so they are giving a preference in delivery times !! Lets hope I get mine in a time for the winter break from Uni in Oxford !!:rolleyes:

And oh yeah enjoy ur new ride or should I say "Let's Ride!":devil:

Omar

I like the red and ivory combination, it works really well! No idea what the buzzing could be, but have a look on detailingworld.com for help with the white leather. I'll be after something to use for cleaning it myself soon actually.

There is a resonance at about 2,500rpm - like a fizzing or fuzzing sound, maybe from the passenger door card (interior anyway) - anyone had this before? It's the diesel so I guess it will settle a little as the engine mounts settle in and stuff.

Very difficult to trace this resonance, sounds like from door/floor/dash. it's actually the exhaust heat shield riveted to the underbody, needs removing,reprofiling and re-riveting. To confirm remove and road test. Obviously under warranty so Dealer should sort.

regards

may sound daft but check its not the heater fan making the noise ( mine made a simsilar discribed sound to you'rs ) just turn off the heater to check. if not its as mentioned above the heatshield it's been quite common on "headgasket" 500's

I had something very similar but didn't associate it with the revs, I put it down to the NS door or pillar speaker resonating as I first noticed it with the radio switched on. I have now either got used to it or it might have gone as I no longer notice it.

Very interested in the comment Mal made about the heatshield as whenever I reverse into my drive or any up gradient there is a vibration underneath like the exhaust hitting the floor. Doesn't happen on the flat or when going forwards so I was going to check engine mounts at the weekend.

Very difficult to trace this resonance, sounds like from door/floor/dash. it's actually the exhaust heat shield riveted to the underbody, needs removing,reprofiling and re-riveting. To confirm remove and road test. Obviously under warranty so Dealer should sort.
regards

This sounds highly plausible. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

And thanks to everyone that has posted on this thread, very much appreciated and I shall look at all the suggestions and post back the result, on the presumption that I get it fixed!

Either that or turn up the Interscope a bit :D (y)

:confused:

I'm being a bit of a thicko here but whats the interscope?

Is it like a periscope connected to the internet for special 500's? Sounds cool!

:stupid:

Interscope = Uprated speakers, amp & sub attached to the radio - Factory fit cost = £250

I case anyone is interested, I got an update on the from the garage on the noise.

The diesel engine is generating a resonance rather like a fly against glass most pronounced at 2,500rpm, worse under load (i.e. up a steep hill) but sometime it will sale pass without any. The source of the sound is very difficult to determine when driving - from the drivers seat it sounds like it's the plastic strip on the dash or the passenger door or somewhere in the dash maybe, and from the passenger seat it sounds like it's below the handbrake.

This is coupled with a dull but noticable cunching or cracking type sound between gears as the engine slows immediately after pressing in the clutch.

The garage has ordered some new bushes for the flywheel / clutch area which are thought to be the culprit. The car has produced this sound since day 1.

Will pick it up next week so will update further for the benefit of the search.

In the mean time I have a Panda 100bhp loan car which is an absolute hoot - wish I'd bought actually!

Cheers

I case anyone is interested, I got an update on the from the garage on the noise.

The diesel engine is generating a resonance rather like a fly against glass most pronounced at 2,500rpm, worse under load (i.e. up a steep hill) but sometime it will sale pass without any. The source of the sound is very difficult to determine when driving - from the drivers seat it sounds like it's the plastic strip on the dash or the passenger door or somewhere in the dash maybe, and from the passenger seat it sounds like it's below the handbrake.

This is coupled with a dull but noticable cunching or cracking type sound between gears as the engine slows immediately after pressing in the clutch.

The garage has ordered some new bushes for the flywheel / clutch area which are thought to be the culprit. The car has produced this sound since day 1.

Will pick it up next week so will update further for the benefit of the search.

In the mean time I have a Panda 100bhp loan car which is an absolute hoot - wish I'd bought actually!

Cheers

It's the heat shield, ref my previous post, if it's not i'd be interested to know what it is!!

Back