General Punto in garage tomorrow for power steering...

Currently reading:
General Punto in garage tomorrow for power steering...

Ben_uk

Hello,

Well my Punto is in the garage tomorrow to sort out the power steering :( keeps failing red error steering light, fails everytime i use the car.

I was planning on selling the car buying a new car but out of work at the moment and just carnt afford that.

I am expecting a bill somewhere close to £500 (n) but thats cheaper than a new car :rolleyes:

Its going into my local Fiat garage dropping it off at 8am.

The women on the phone said they will run some tests on a computer then let me no the bad news lol

Will let you know how i get on :)

Thanks Ben

Well just heard from the garage :cry:

Needs the whole new steering column :(

Total Price is £576 (n) that includes the £47 computer tests they run to find out what was at fault.

The women also said they ran a "free" :p health check on the car and the rear wiper blade needs replacing @ £17 and both front brake discs and pads have worn out cost to replace £225 :eek:

I told them just do the steering column lol

Any idea how much new discs and pads would cost to replace ? £225 seems alot to me.

Thanks Ben

Changing the discs and pads yourself an easy job then ?

Got any guides to show u what to do with pics etc :p

Like the idea of saving some cash !

There is a guide in the Punto guide section on how to change front brake pads then its just a case of removing the caliper bracket and the disc retaining screw/s. Ensure the hub mating surface is perfectly clean when fitting the new disc and don't forget to remove the protective coating on the discs before fitting them. I use brake and clutch cleaner. If you fancy saving money and learning about your car then invest in a Haynes manual or similar. Good luck with it (y)

I fit quite a few of these due to the red steering wheel symbol being on and there being no power steering! I get mine from these guys as they are local and very helpful.

£575 is way too much, I supply and fit them for £400 including a full scan to check for any other fault codes on any other system on the vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Punto-Br...ryZ10382QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Rich.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for replies lads.

Looks like i could of saved but its done now.

Just picked the car up all working fine no problems, nice to have light steering again :p

Decided against doing the brakes myself, booked in for thursday at local garage. Worth paying extra for piece of mind and getting it done in a day.

Well both discs and pads where changed today and checked over the drums at the back.

Cost me £113, carnt complain. Makes me laugh with fiat quoting £225.

Wash the car aswell today and waxed it ! looks great. Made the effort seeing as i am keeping it alittle longer now.

Should have done a DIY, im not a car tinker person either but i just did my pads myself and only cost me 8.75+vat

as for the PS id would have gone to fiat too as my mate had a recon rack fitted and that turn'd out to be buggered too.

Last edited:
A local garage guy told me he could fix the steering racks (usually) for about £250 all in. Usually, he says, it is just a blown resistor. May be talking a load of rubbish though!

A local garage guy told me he could fix the steering racks (usually) for about £250 all in. Usually, he says, it is just a blown resistor. May be talking a load of rubbish though!

Considering the part that most fails (90% of time) has not resistor i'd be wary,also £250 for a 15p resistor seems suspicious!. These components are not made to be stripped down or repaired in anyway.

Back