Technical Marea 20v thermostat, steering pump, cams

Currently reading:
Technical Marea 20v thermostat, steering pump, cams

jbackg

Hi, anyone have useful details as to the removal and checking of the thermostat on the marea 20v?

Would someone confirm that the unit with two pipes underneath the alternator is the steering pump.... anyone had one fail?

Anyone had experience of changing the cam bearings?

sorry, my marea is sick....

Hi,
Sounds like you got problems. :(

Thermostat. Always check the fuse first. ;)

To test the thermostat you need a thermometer, an ohmmeter and the temp profile chart. I think someone on here had a chart, hint, hint.

The thermostatic switch should operate at 90C to 94C and reset at about 85C to 89C.

The unit you describe sounds like the steering pump. Two high pressure pipes.
The unit is self bleeding, run the engine and turn the wheel between full lock several times then check the fluid.

Never had to change cam bearings yet.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hi,
fuse?? ok you win.... can't think why there would be a fuse connected with/to the thermostat, and certainly no mention in haynes re all models bar 20v, but i am willing to be enlightened :)

Symptom... Engine temp gauge takes forever to reach "normal" except on really hot summer days or sitting in traffic. In the winter.... brrrrrrr lucky if it moves.
As a result seems like little heat getting through heater matrix (mine is non-air-con) If i let it idle long enough it gets to norm and the radiator fan kicks in.
I can see coolant circulating into top of coolant reservoir so don't suspect blockage. Seems to be the opposite of the problem described of the redlining temp gauge elsewhere here.

Could it be thermostat is sticking open? And if so how do i get to it, where is that pesky lump of springloaded wax?
My first car, Mazda 929 coupe, was such a delight to take apart and thermo could be taken out tested and refitted in less time it takes to make a cup of tea. this beast....good grief....

The reason i ask about the steering pump and co, is i am trying to get to the wallet attack inducing heart attack that is the nasty grinding scraping noise that i can now hear since i got a new front pipe... with the intresting flexi bit where it joins the middle section. ?(a result no doubt of the high failure rate, mine included of those that failed just as they met the clamp due to lack of flex/support revealing a novel double skinned approach)

i have listened with a length of aluminum pipe and the noisiest part is the alternator so hopefully a bearing and not the cams but as it's attached to the steering pump..... gulp....

I am tempted to just bin it and walk away and buy something cheap as chips but i hate squandering money and love my quirky italian too much to give in

if only there was a good and not too expensive mechanic in scotland....
slainte <{iii}

I too have the same problem with thermostat... :(
Engine temperature gauge takes a long time to reach "normal" if at all... How does this effect engine life? I think it is not a good thing to keep engine temp low... how about fuel consumption?
I think fault is in always open thermostat. Can anyone tell me where to find it on 1.8 16v Marea Weekend?

T.

Re: Marea 20v thermostat

Any more info on the Marea 20V thermostat and the water temp not rising...?
My temp needle barely moves unless you are sitting in traffic and as soon as you get moving again and the air gets flowing back through the rad the temp drops off again real quick.... Not much fun now winter is here...!!
I did find a blown 7amp fuse under the dashboard, not in the main fuse board but a smaller fuse board a bit higher up. I have no idea what it does but I changed it anyway.. I have read an article for the 1.8 engines that refers to a water temperature sensor that triggers an electronically controlled thermostat / valve that diverts water through the rad... My local car parts shop do not list a replacement thermostat so I am assuming the 20v engine has an electronically controlled water cooling system..
Can any one quickly explain how the water temp is regulated and where to look under the bonnet to check things out..??

Thermostat is situated on the end of the cylinder head at the gearbox end, cant buy thermostat seperate you have to buy complete housing , they do fail alot, problem does sound like thermostat stuck open, bit of a pig to replace, has about 5 pipes going to it and all the temp sender units are situated there!!!!!

Last edited:
Back