Technical ECU Problems getting deeper

Currently reading:
Technical ECU Problems getting deeper

fjasa

My 2003 (8 valve) Punto got some problems in the winter with ECU. Immobilizer got on when it was cold enough. Still it was possible to start car entering the code with throttle pedal. On summer time (more than 8 celcius degrees) no problems at all..

Fault codes that Service been reading from ECU were first antenna which was changed but did not fix the fault. second time fault code was pointing some problems in BUS (really scary). Still no problems on warm weather (summer car :) ).

Now new problems popped up. I got Airbag light on and Service said that computer is not giving any fault code and they cannot switch code off - computer broken and changing it is about 500-600 Eurs..

Is there any common with those problems I have - except the Fiat itself.. I'm getting tired with the car because no change to debug the fault no change to diagnose the fault by my self no workaround to get rid of faults. Service is always just changing computers but not giving any guarantee if changing the computer works.. Too expensive. Changing computers will double the price of car.. Not sure do i really want it.

What to do with my car - fix it or burn it :)

It does sound as though the body computer is playing up and its not going to be easy to prove.
How I would attempt it, (cos I dont like giving money to "fitters" who have little knowledge).

Try and get BSI near to a heat gun and try to start, also dose it with freezer and try again.
Else get a secondhand BSI and change over the eeprom from the old one and see what happens. Best of luck.

Story continues :)

In addition to airbag light I got warning light that says that one of the bulbs are broken. Yes there was one in aft which I changed. Still light was staying on and stays on tough all the bulbs are working.

I bought used ECU, body computer and lock set which I changed today.

Car starts and runs OK. Still Airbag light is on all the time. In addition to previous problems my speedometer is blinking with new ECU and Body computer.

1. What might cause problem in Airbag?
2. How to get rid of bulb warning light?
3. Any workaround to get rid of bilking speedometer?

And car is Punto 2003 MK3 1.2 8 valve, ABS, central locks, 2 airbags, no air conditioning....

new ECU and body computer came from 2005 Punto Active.

Hi,

The car will need proxy alignment at a fiat dealership. This is why the odometer is blinking. They will also be able to turn off the airbag light.

Was the original checks in your first post (ie trying to turn off the airbag light) done by fiat or an independent?

With regards to the bulb warning light, have you checked the voltages and wattage on the new bulb that you have replaced?

Alan

Last edited:
Hi,

The car will need proxy alignment at a fiat dealership. This is why the odometer is blinking. They will also be able to turn off the airbag light.

Was the original checks in your first post (ie trying to turn off the airbag light) done by fiat or an independent?

With regards to the bulb warning light, have you checked the voltages and wattage on the new bulb that you have replaced?

Alan

Yes checks were done by Fiat service. They said that Airbag computer needs to be changed. Still sounds strange that all computers are giving up.. Still i suspect that there is something common with all these problems.. I need to visit Fiat service tomorrow to get rid of flashing odo.

No I haven't checked the details of bulb - it still works as supposed. I might need to check.

BTW: what does "Proxy alignment" exactly mean? Just to understand what service suppose to do and how much they are going to charge about it..

Hi,

Proxy alignment is very basically setting up the dash to your car. Like colaberating it. It only takes about half hour on examiner. Not sure what the hourly labour rate is like in your country.

The airbag light may be able to be reset now that the faulty body computer has gone and save you getting a new airbag ECU. worth trying whilst they do the proxy alignment anyway.

Good luck,
Alan

Flashing odo was cleared in Fiat service. Thanks for tip.

Still problems with Airbag computer. Airbag light stays on Service is not able to read error code. Computer is messed up.. Vcc and ground are OK - cheked by Service.

Where airbag computer is located and is there something that I need to know when removing and changing it? When trying to find replacement what are important to know? Is there similar code locking with body computer as body computer has with ECU?

So it seems that next thing is to find replacement for Airbag computer and change it.

Anyone over there to help me with Airbag light problem?

Airbag light stays on tough ECU and body computer have changed. Is it Airbag computer what I need to change next? Is it the box under heating system? Is there any tricks I need to know before removing that box or is it just unscrewing bolts and taking away? Is there "handshake" code between body computer and airbag computer or can I just replace the box with box what I just find?

Fiat service has checked that box gets ground and +12v. Any other tips to check before getting new Airbag comp?

Back