Technical Fiat Stilo Judder when pulling off

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Stilo Judder when pulling off

roboticgimp

Has anybody got an idea as to what could cause my nice Stilo to judder when i pull off? It doesn't happen all of the time, but most. I would say 50-60% of times when i pull off.

Sometimes it feels like it is worse when the car is cold/first started, but it sometimes happens when the car is warm.

The car is under a 12 month used car warranty, so i can take the car back. Just thought i would try here first!

Cheers.

Has anybody got an idea as to what could cause my nice Stilo to judder when i pull off? It doesn't happen all of the time, but most. I would say 50-60% of times when i pull off.

Sometimes it feels like it is worse when the car is cold/first started, but it sometimes happens when the car is warm.

The car is under a 12 month used car warranty, so i can take the car back. Just thought i would try here first!

Cheers.

You might want to do a check on your coils. If one of them is one the way out, then it can cause juddering when pulling away.

The way to test a coil is to have the engine running and disconnect each coil in turn. If the engine revs drop and it struggles, then that coil is fine. If the revs don't change, then the coils packed up. (y)

Hi mate,

Is it judder from the clutch/gearbox or misfire?

If its from the clutch then sounds like your clutch plate may be contaminated or damaged.

Alan

Hi,

Its from the clutch, when it happens i have to do a combination of dipping the clutch pedal and/or over revving on pull off. Funny thing is it doesn't always happen. Spoke to Fiat dealer where i have the 12 month's after sales warranty but he couldn't guarantee it will be covered by the warranty.

Tried to tell me it could be wear and tear, to which i said the car is four years old and only has 25,000 on the clock! Wear and tear, he can bugger off!

Spoken to another Fiat dealer service desk and they said Stilo's have a habit of the Flywheel becoming faulty.....

I'll have to get it booked in at the dealers i suppose, hopefully its covered, otherwise i have to pay for them looking at it!

Nothing to do with the flywheel. It will be the clutch when cold. Perhaps a difference in the ferous material that only manifests itself when cold and a bit damp.

This can sometimes sort itself out as the clutch wears the faulty material out.

Be cautious of any fluid leaks onto the clutch plate. This would have the same effect and could indicate a gearbox oil seal failure.

I think its just the clutch.

Last edited:
I've noticed over the last couple of days that it also does it after i have parked up for a while. For instance, it did it yesterday morning, then i drove to work (30 miles) parked up and an hour later had to go out and about, again it juddered on pull off.

I've got it booked into the Fiat garage on Wednesday, but i've already told them it cannot be wear and tear, and if it is then i ain't paying for that with a car with only 25,000 on the clock......

Sounds exactly the same as my clutch. But my clutch just gave up. So i had it replaced.

I was driving on a juddery clutch for a good 4 weeks. Does it slip at all?

The clutch doesn't slip, but i haven't made it top the garage yet. Been too busy!

I have since found that if i raise the clutch pedal quicker than what i would normally do then it doesn't judder at all.

I will take it to the garage before my 12 month's warranty is up, the only thing that bothers me is that if they don't find a fault i'll to pay for their labour time.....

if they cannot diagnose the fault then they cannot charge you.

Exactly what i said, but they are insistent that they will have to charge me. Haven't taken it yet, on a good/bad note, it just did the juddering in second gear when i changed up from first.

its likely to be the clutch.

My 1.2 does it, but only if you drive like your driving miss daisy.

My first gearbox ruined a clutch by pissing oil over it when it exploded.

I have never thought the stilo clutch in the 1.2 to be up to that much really, it gets hot quick and as soon as it is, it slips

did you find out what is was as mine does the same?

I haven't taken it to the garage yet. I want it to be more pronounced so that the morons at the dealer will accept it under the warranty, i'm not paying them for not finding a fault!

I haven't taken it to the garage yet. I want it to be more pronounced so that the morons at the dealer will accept it under the warranty, i'm not paying them for not finding a fault!

No Fault No money?
And its under warranty. you wont have to pay a penny

Last edited:
No Fault No money?
And its under warranty. you wont have to pay a penny

I know, but they i've called them 3 times and each time i have been told they would have to charge me if they find nothing wrong, even when i argue the point they say that if they strip the gearbox and nothing is faulty they have to charge.....

OK. Keep your eyes peeled tomorrow. I've booked it into the garage for 8am. As soon i know whats occuring i'll post it!

PS Just got back from watching the new Batman film, really good film, best i've watched this year......

Back