General fiat 500 braking problem -BEWARE

Currently reading:
General fiat 500 braking problem -BEWARE

Hi All

Its been a while,

I had an experience on thursday in the rain that really shook me up, I lost control of the car under power on a roundabout and very nearly came a cropper :cry:- first thought was diesel on the road or something similar,
but later found out that my passenger had put his foot on the exposed brake linkage in the passenger footwell and applied the brakes full on!!!:eek:

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS POSSIBLE - WARN ANY BODY SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT TO KEEP FEET AWAY, IF POSSIBLE GUARD IT OFF AS I HAVE WITH AN ALUMINIUM PLATE.

I have contacted my dealer who have inspected my car to ensure its not a one off (its not they're all the same) and they have reported to fiat - expect a recall (i hope)

i will be glad to give any one who wants it details of where the link bar is and how i've guarded it off
its simple to do.

Be careful out there

Chris.

Ps love the car to bits - this is the only bad thing i have found. Shame its such a doosy.

Re: fiat 500 breaking problem -BEWARE

Chris

please post a photo of this location in the footwell.

John

Hi All

Its been a while,

I had an experience on thursday in the rain that really shook me up, I lost control of the car under power on a roundabout and very nearly came a cropper :cry:- first thought was diesel on the road or something similar,
but later found out that my passenger had put his foot on the exposed brake linkage in the passenger footwell and applied the brakes full on!!!:eek:

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS POSSIBLE - WARN ANY BODY SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT TO KEEP FEET AWAY, IF POSSIBLE GUARD IT OFF AS I HAVE WITH AN ALUMINIUM PLATE.

I have contacted my dealer who have inspected my car to ensure its not a one off (its not they're all the same) and they have reported to fiat - expect a recall (i hope)

i will be glad to give any one who wants it details of where the link bar is and how i've guarded it off
its simple to do.

Be careful out there

Chris.

Ps love the car to bits - this is the only bad thing i have found. Shame its such a doosy.

Exciting free dual control for learners! :eek:

If you look at where the brake pedal mounts, there is a bar that is attached to it, this bar dissaperes off to the L/H side of the car in the footwell, then goes out through the bulkhead to attach the master cyl to the pedal, saved FIAT having to relocate the master for RHD cars.

Chris

please post a photo of this location in the footwell.

John

Here you go - its the flat metal bar that passes from behind the heater and into the master cylinder housing - cheap left to right hand drive conversion me thinks.
also see aluminium plate - this just slots in to the master cylinder casting and into a recess on the heater housing - no screws or bolts needed- 10 seconds to fit

i hope this helps

Chris

Attachments

• P6020002.JPG
    P6020002.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 707
  • P6020003.JPG
    P6020003.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 449
  • P6020004.JPG
    P6020004.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 568

I'm struggling to push against that bar and make the brakes operate, however I can find a silvery coloured lever higher up (partially behind a plastic cowl) that is easier to operate accidentally. Could that be the part that was pushed?

I'm struggling to push against that bar and make the brakes operate, however I can find a silvery coloured lever higher up (partially behind a plastic cowl) that is easier to operate accidentally. Could that be the part that was pushed?

Could be - the dealer did a test with the engine running and the car in gear - had someone put his foot on the bar (or maybe the lever) and tried to pull off.

The car was rooted to the spot and the engline stalled - the brake lights were on also??

its somewhere down there.

Chris

Could be - the dealer did a test with the engine running and the car in gear - had someone put his foot on the bar (or maybe the lever) and tried to pull off.

The car was rooted to the spot and the engline stalled - the brake lights were on also??

its somewhere down there.

Chris

i found the lever your talking about - its a little too high up

I was most definitly the bar - it doesn't move much - just requires pressure on it.

C.

Chris

I looked at this last night, and you must have had a passenger with very long legs. But as you say, it is possible.

John

I always have coffee mugs and books and things like that floating round in the passenger well and it would be easy to push one of those onto the bar, even with short legs. I know they could go in the underseat storage but have you tried to get something out from there when you have a passenger?

I hate to be pedantic about spelling on the web but could someone edit this post to "braking" - or is it intentionally broken?

Back