Technical Timing belt Change

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt Change

saibeml

Dear All,

I have a Uno 999 Fire.

What is the frequency to change timing belt.

Also what will happen if the timing belt snaps during running

Regards

Dear All,

I have a Uno 999 Fire.

What is the frequency to change timing belt.

Every 36,000 miles or every three years. Whichever is the soonest.

Also what will happen if the timing belt snaps during running

The engine will not run ;)

Seriously, nothing in the engine will be damaged if the belt snaps. 8v FIRE engines are known as 'safe' engines because in the event of a broken belt the valves will not make contact with the pistons.

Every 36,000 miles or every three years. Whichever is the soonest.

Five years, I would say, based on general advice.

Page 64 of my Mk1 Uno handbook says "Every 100,000km (60,000 miles): Toothed timing belt, Manual transmission oil"

I also want to point out that it's a VERY easy change on the FIRE engine: they just don't come any easier. Lots of access, only one tensioner to slacken/remove, a mark on the camwheel at about 17 minutes-to-the-hour (lines up with notch in cylinder head below cam housing join), a flywheel notch that lines up with the forwardmost line on the bellhousing window, and the crank pulley can be unbolted with small bolts rather than some giant nut.

-Alex

Last edited:
Five years, I would say, based on general advice.

Page 64 of my Mk1 Uno handbook says "Every 100,000km (60,000 miles): Toothed timing belt, Manual transmission oil"

Page 239 in the Haynes "Book of Lies" states:

Every 36 000 miles (60 000 km) of three years, whichever comes first - Renew the timing belt - 999cc engine and Turbo i.e. models

;)

I also want to point out that it's a VERY easy change on the FIRE engine: they just don't come any easier. Lots of access, only one tensioner to slacken/remove, a mark on the camwheel at about 17 minutes-to-the-hour (lines up with notch in cylinder head below cam housing join), a flywheel notch that lines up with the forwardmost line on the bellhousing window, and the crank pulley can be unbolted with small bolts rather than some giant nut.

-Alex

Yup, it's very easy to change. So might as well do it at 36K miles rather than 60K! :p

Yup, it's very easy to change. So might as well do it at 36K miles rather than 60K! :p

OK, fair enough :)

Now, meanwhile, try selling an Alfa Romeo 166 that has done 100020 km and appears to still have the original belt despite the person I bought it off having said that it had been changed... I had to carve another thousand dollars off the price as it's anywhere from $1500 to $3000 to have the belt changed, $900 in parts alone. :bang: Could, of course, go PING any day now. Buyer collects tomorrow.

New cambelt for Uno 45 costs $45 locally and takes half an hour to change. Go figure...

-Alex

Last edited:
Back