General glow plug light flashing

Currently reading:
General glow plug light flashing

whogiveaffff

Can you help with this NEW fault discovered this car give me problems after problems. I have a 2001 Fiat punto 1.9 JTD. 65000 miles. it start fine , as usual. However within about 20 seconds of starting the little orange coil type indicator light on the dash comes on and slowly flashes and stay flashing all the time im driving i have read it glow plugs the engine dont sound as nice as it did does this mean i need to replace them all or could it be something else
and what would the cost be to replace them

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
just went and had a look to see if i could find where the plugs go but with no joy

but notice the maf sennor was off so put back on dont know if thats got anything to do with it

plug light still flashing but goes off after a min or so

i try without starting and it doing the same thing

just sent wife out for drive as she the one saying it staying on all the time

Hi mate,

That is you glow plug warning light. The flashing means that one or more of the glow plugs are faulty, or the controll unit. If the car is starting fine then i would suggest that it is just one of the glow plugs and i therefore wouldnt worry too much about it. The flashing normally lasts around 30 seconds after then engine is started and then stops.

The glow plugs should not affect the running of the engine, just the starting, and thefrore the ruff running is likely to be something else.

The MAF sensor will not affect this light. Sometimes they are unplugged if the sensor is faulty and the owner does not want to replace the sensor (costs over £100). With it unplugged, the engine will run with a default setting.

Its a bit of a tricky job to change the glow plugs as they are not vey accesable, but not an expensive one.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Last edited:
Hi mate,

That is you glow plug warning light. The flashing means that one or more of the glow plugs are faulty, or the controll unit. If the car is starting fine then i would suggest that it is just one of the glow plugs and i therefore wouldnt worry too much about it. The flashing normally lasts around 30 seconds after then engine is started and then stops.

The glow plugs should not affect the running of the engine, just the starting, and thefrore the ruff running is likely to be something else.

The MAF sensor will not affect this light. Sometimes they are unplugged if the sensor is faulty and the owner does not want to replace the sensor (costs over £100). With it unplugged, the engine will run with a default setting.

Its a bit of a tricky job to change the glow plugs as they are not vey accesable, but not an expensive one.

Hope that helps,
Alan

thanks you clear a lot up i going to give changing the glow plugs a go cheapest i found online was £10 each

well just incase someone intrested i have found a set of 4 glow plugs for £17.75p inc p+p the brand is wellman and what i have read on the web they are a good brand

LOL!! Hang on to them though, as it may be that one or more of them is on their way out and working intermittently. Will save you the hastle of ordering them all again when it does go properly!!

Alan

Back