General Panda 4X4 Multijet MPG...

Currently reading:
General Panda 4X4 Multijet MPG...

Any of you guys that already have the Panda 4x4 Multijet on the continent know what kind of mpg are you getting?? Just interested to know whether the 4x4 affects it much becuase Fiat claim that the back wheels are passive normally until wheelslip occurs offroad so im thinking normal driving it shouldnt affect it much?? The normal multijet mpg figures have been quite impressive from what ive seen on a seperate thread... if the 4x4 diesel was anywhere close that would be excellent.(y)

Last edited:
It may be remapped slightly compared to a normal MJ Panda, but the main difference will be that the gearing is different, so I doubt you'll get as high as normal 2wd MJ Panda's, but more than petrol 4wd Pandas! According to the trip computer on mine, I am doing c.38mpg (petrol 4x4), and I don't tend to hang about (well I go as fast as it lets me go anyway! ;)) - and actually for a car that is meant to be the slowest UK car, to 60 mph anyway, it goes pretty well - just got to keep the foot down! Be careful of terminal understeer though...:rolleyes:

I'll be interested to see what our continental cousins achieve from their MJ 4x4's too :chin:

The 4x4 MJ won't get the fuel economy of the 2WD version. 1) the car is heavier due to extra transmission parts and body strengthening, 2) even in 2WD mode the 4x4 has greater power loss because the propshaft to the rear is still spinning 3) lower gearing especially in 1st and 2nd for off road work 4) taller due to greater ground clearance.
Will still be faster and more economical than the petrol version though.

I looked into this when I wrote to Fiat earlier in the year (there is a thread on here if you search I can't link yet as I'm too new)

Anyway, I've just looked back and copied the table off the base of my letter (figures are from Fiat UK for the 1.2 and converted from Fiat France for the MJ.

Panda 4x4 MJ
Urban (mpg) - 42.4
Combined (mpg) - 54.6
Extra Urban (mpg)- 67.6
CO2 (g/km) - 136 (Band C £120 p.a. - becoming Band E £115 p.a.)

Panda 4x4 1.2
Urban (mpg) - 35.8
Combined (mpg) - 42.7
Extra Urban (mpg) - 48.7
CO2 (g/km)- 156 (Band D £145 p.a. - becoming Band G £155 p.a.)

The 4x4 MJ is still quite a way behind the 2wd according to Fiat UK

Panda MJ
Urban (mpg) - 52.3
Combined (mpg) - 65.7
Extra Urban (mpg) - 76.3
CO2 (g/km)- 114 (Band B £35 p.a. - becoming Band C £35 p.a.)

Obviously these are manufacturers figures so should be taken with a pinch of salt. Does anyone here with a regular MJ see 76mpg!?!

Still, it's a good bit cheaper to run the regular 2wd MJ (in tax if nothing else) over the 4x4.

Though, when the time comes for us to get a 2nd car, of course we'll get a 4x4!:)

Thanks guys - a useful thread here. I too have 1.2 4x4 and have been wondering the same thing.

I drive nearly 50miles a day, some motorway, some town, and for fun, country lanes on way home (occasionally a short length of byway too for good measure!). Keeping to 65mph or less on motorway and gently on the other roads, the computer's average is 41mpg -- not bad, but the MJ would be better.

The road tax isn't really an issue. Take my typical 1000 miles a month, giving 12,000 miles a year. At 41mpg and at around £1.09 a litre, (if I've got the maths right) I'd use £1440 of petrol a year. With the MJ, assuming an average of 60mpg and diesel at £1.20 a litre, it would cost close to £1100 for fuel a year. By comparison, the £15 a year difference in road tax is nothing? But I'd save maybe £300-400 a year in fuel.

But then there's service costs? My diesel Multipla is exactly double the dealer's menu prices compared to the petrol version, and I suspect the same is true for the Panda. That could quickly wipe out the fuel cost saving?

The 'new car prices' for the Dynamic are £7595 for 1.2 and £8595 for MultiJet (Fiatsupasaver.com). I'd expect the difference between 1.2 and MultiJet 4x4 to be similar, so factor in that £1000 difference too, and the petrol isn't that bad after all. I think I'll hang on for a while before switching, personally...

Pete

Last edited:
Back