Technical Punto mk2 1.2 8v Petrol Smell And Water Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk2 1.2 8v Petrol Smell And Water Noise

drm08

Hi all, this is my first post. I am also completely new to any car DIY so very basic answers would be appreciated. :)

I have a punto mk2 W-reg (2000) 1.2 8v and have been having a couple of problems for quite some time. I realise there are quite a few threads about these issues but i am really desperate for the answer as they are driving me nuts. Also i dont want to just ignore them and possibly cause damage. (n)

1. Petrol smell - very strong smell of petrol in cabin only, and only when set to take in outside air. Recirculating the air cures the simptoms but obviously not the problem.

2. Water noise - I originally thought this was the reservoir thing at the back of the engine bay that filled up with water because the holes at the bottom were blocked with gunk but i cleared them out and still have the problem.
It only happens when cold and when the revs are increased. Also it doesnt matter whether or not it has been raining.

It seems like the system needs bleeding but could you give me any advice on anything else that it could possibly be and how easy/cheap it would be to get done. Also would this problem re-occur after simply bleeding the system?

Daniel

hey I had petrol smell in the cabin and the mecanic fixed that long isolation rubber (marked in the picture) because it was pressed by the washer hose. He pushed the rubber towards the windshield and switched the clams position that holds that little washer hose.... (sorry for my bad english).

and about the running water noise... it's air in the coolant system...

I hope it helps

Attachments

• Wipermotor1.jpg
    Wipermotor1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 183
But was your fuel smell only with heater on etc? because surely that piece wouldnt cause that problem? Not that i dont believe you, just cant picture that....

Thanks for the reply :D

yap only with the heater on... but it was burned fuel smell, he also said that maybe the exhaust system is releasing the smoke near the engine... The main problem is that when I arrive to the mecanic , my punto is suddenly alright, no smoke, no leaks, no problem (i had some o ring problem). But anyway I have no more smell in the cabin, and I still have the runnig water sound, sometimes between CD tracks. :D

p.s.: I have left my punto 3 days in service shop so that the mecanic could see the problem

I have checked that rubber seal and i am almost positive that it is having no effect whatsoever. So i am still stumped. I guess its probably not the fuel filter as this is at the rear of the car?

By the way are the thin blue pipes the fuel pipes?

Thanks again.

Hopefully you have 2 simple low cost jobs to get you going, both DIY:

1. Bleed the coolant of air according to the guide that Chris posted, puntos are known for this.

2. Are you sure it is petrol and not exhaust smell? Check breather pipe under air filter has not become detached. If it is, all the blow by and oil vapour will not be recycled, and you will end up with a stinky cabin. Simple fix if it's that

Back