Technical Pulling my hair out!!

Currently reading:
Technical Pulling my hair out!!

bazd123

Ok so I'm still having problems with my Punto 55SX. I've been through the forum and found all the topics where pepole have had the same problems. But in those threads people seem to off solved there problems with what's been recomended.

The threads are:

https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3493
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3239
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4015
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8690

So to expalin the problem once more, when accelerating in any gear, mainly 1st and 2nd, the car losses power and then cuts back in a second later. The car also has low revs when the enginee is turnd on, hot or cold.

I've been through all the checks mentioned in the other threads and replaced parts.

Spark Plugs
Ignition Coils (both of them)
HT Leads
Air filter
Checked Battery.

After doing these, the car seems fine for a day, but then the problem comes back. The car has been to Fiat 5 times now trying to sort this problem out. Fiat ran a diagnostic check and came up with a few electrical faults which were sorted there and then. The car has also had a new pump put on (which did needed doing as the pipe had completely snaped off) and a new Piece of hose somewhere as it had split. Can't tell you excatly what the parts are cause I can't find the car report.

After these parts where changed, the car ran fine again for a few days before the problems started again. The car then went back to Fiat who then changed a Relay to see if that sorted the problem which didn't. Once again a full diagnostic was done and no faults where found. I even got them to check the Lambda sensor as this has been mentioned in the aboth threads, but that checked out fine too.

The only thing left that Fiat can think of that might be causnig the problem is the ECU. Now this will be expesnive to replace and I'm kind of thinking it's not worth it on an 95 M reg car.

So does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this problem as it's driving me insane and make me look like I can't drive!! [xx(]

Help please.

Punto 55 SX all in black... That's my bitch!

Headgasket maybe leaks so that the car misfire? But that surely Fiat would have noticed. It seems like the first thing all fiat garage sais when you bring the car to them :D ...

I know this probably sounds stupid, but what petrol are you using..reason I ask this is that my girlfriend was using Tesco petrol and similar symptoms that you are having..as soon as she changed to Esso the problem dissapeared....I also have found this using Tesco/Safeway petrol in my Punto HGT....but as soon as I put Shell Optimax in it it runs like a dream...

Probably this was the first thing you checked so apologies if it is B)

I use Unleaded from Sainsburys. I also get a big build up of pressure in the fuel tank too. The car makes funny noises and I have to undo the fuel cap and let all the pressue out. I think the petrol I use is premium unleaded. The ffisrt time I filled the car up with petrol it was at a BP garage and I had no problem then, but ever since I've been goting to Sainsburys because it's cheaper.

Punto 55 SX all in black... That's my bitch!

Wait till your tank is almost empty then put some decent juice inside her...some shell or something.....and see if this makes any difference....

It might not/probably not make any diff but worth ruling it out [8)]

i know it doesn't help solve your problem but the petrol for shell, bp, tesco, etc will all come from the same local distribution place and then each company will put in their additives. So it doesn't really matter where you get your petrol unless your car specifically needs a 97 or 98 RON

I don't really know anything about where the petrol comes from (middle east maybe ;-)) or what the companies add to it. But what are these additives that they add? Could the 'cheaper' petrol have different amounts meaning differing qualities?

One thing for sure is that my car performs much much better if I compare tescos to shell optimax, without a doubt.

Anyway like I say, its worth trying it to see...only thing you will lose is a few pence.

after i got my car chipped i found that the onlt petrol i could use is bp or shell anything else makes the car run rough, try using nixrox hot shots or red x and give the engine and injectors a good clean out with the stuff, it might not work stright away but give it a chance.

Punto GT Turbo, forge dump valve, samco hose kit, pace intercooler, k&n induction kit, s/s exhaust, bleed valve, superchip, running 15lb boost!

Back