General its on a gp 1.4 16v star jet engine but not on a panda 100hp and some photos

Currently reading:
General its on a gp 1.4 16v star jet engine but not on a panda 100hp and some photos

wtf1.jpg

what is it then?

Last edited:
Re: its on a gp 1.4 16v engine but not on a panda 100hp

Phase transformer

edit - hang on cant be as only fitted to 8v engine (not seen one on 16v but its listed)

you got a better picture Dave?

Last edited:

ok you have a star jet engine there for it has tumble and swirl ports in the inlet

it can shut off 1 port on each cylinder at low revs increasing torque and fuel efficiency and as a side affect good emissions

top picture actuator for tumble swirl ports electronically controlled vacuum operated

bottom picture control valve for evaporative loss control canister

the one on top of your cover is the camshaft variator (yes the 16v has one) it's for egr again for emissions not vvt before anyone says it gives you more power lol

my dad asked about these on the 16v not all at Warrington and even they did not know they had it on them he had to tell them he seen one lol

i have seen the variator on the starjet puntos not sure about later stilo and punto 188 wouldn't think so i think it came in with tighter emissions

sure i have seen on the 100hp also but i don't know

haven't really been looking to be honest

also why is it sat in the back of a classic panda

Last edited:

cos i'm sure it is too different to fit a camshaft without variator into it and you would have to leave the variator control valve in place to contain the oil pressure now i'm not sure what position the variator would be in with no signal to do anything it might be normal

the variator might start to mess with the engine through lack of use as it would never get any oil through it

i suppose there's only one way to find out what would happen try it

as far as i know it only alters the timing on the overrun or when coasting with light load to act as egr but i may be wrong it may be detrimental to engine running

and why is it in the back of a panda

i hope it's going to e installed into one that would be fun

Last edited:

the one on top of your cover is the camshaft variator (yes the 16v has one) it's for egr again for emissions not vvt before anyone says it gives you more power lol

:confused: VVT stands for variable valve timing... which is what the phase transformer does, varies the advance/retard of the camshafts to improve combustion and deliver optimum efficiency at all times. Granted the top-end performance differs little from a normal 1.4 16v.

The Port De-Activation system is used in conjunction with the EGR, improving swirl when required by directing it through the turbulence port, to maintain stable combustion with high levels of exhaust gas present.

A bit of technical info for you Dave-

"The development of this new engine has led to the redefinition and use of new components such as (the main ones are listed below):

- a new head with two different independent inlet ports for each cylinder (one improved for filling and the other designed for turbulence) for the use of a new PDA system (Port De-Activation slider) in other words the exclusion of one of the inlet ports at a given engine speed range).
- new head gasket
- new pistons
- new phase transformer (VVT - Continous phase Variator) for the inlet and exhaust
- new belt routing
- new intake manifold
- new camshafts
- new Bosch ME 7.6.3 electronic injection/ignition system

with the aim of further improving consumption, emissions and performance and reducing friction losses.

The position of the valves has also been maintained, but that of the spark plugs has been modified to place the spark in an optimum position that guarantees complete combustion in all conditions. The new design involves a chamber closer to the spark plug and with a smaller volume on the cylinder head side.

The cyclical combustion stability has been improved in the presence of high EGR rates (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). All of this means lower consumption for the same performance.";)

By-passing the Phase transformer will be tricky at best, if not impossible. It controls both advance and retard by directing oil into the cam pulley where it acts on vanes to move the camshaft independantly. With it removed/blocked-off, the camshaft will likely 'float about' between the two states causing running faults (in fact, a basic diagnostic procedure for testing the operation of the phase variator is to disconnect the wiring and ensure the engine idles roughly).

(y)

i thinking that if i fit normal pully then that fix one problem?

get peter to look at the new cams and see what they done there, probably just put an oil way to feed the new pully?

get peter to look at these 2 new ports for each cylinder and see if they ok as is or made into 1?

use the 1.2 inlet mahifold and injector system

aw well as change bottom pully and that bit what holds tdc sensor

Last edited:
Back