Technical How do I get to the horn and horn relay???

Currently reading:
Technical How do I get to the horn and horn relay???

jacob25119

I have a 1979 Fiat Spider. The horn doesn't work. I'm almost 100% sure that the problem is with either the horn itself or the relay.

The horn is (if your facing the front of the car) on the right side, in front of the radiator, behind the grill. How do I get access to that?

Also, is the horn relay right with the horn or is it in the dashboard somewhere?

Thanks in advance...

-Jacob

Hopefully you need to remove your radiator for another reason, or need to replace your radiator hoses.... cuz quite honestly the easiest way to get to those horns is by removing the radiator. the front grill can be removed with out moving the radiator, but it isn't an efficient use of your time.

the horn relay is mounted on a stamped steel plate bolted beneath the glove box.

the horns, the wires, the relay, and the switch on the steering column all need to be considered PLUS the fuse. did you check your fuse? the horn fuse # L also protects another seldom noticed circuit... the engine fan motor.

i would suspect the fuse first, the grounds second, the wiring third, the horn push fourth, then the horns and last the relay.

Thanks for the help. I found out that the problem was behind the steering wheel and in the steering wheel hub. The steering wheel hub's copper disk is very corroded and has a big "crater" in it. Also, the copper contact thing that touches the steering wheel hub is broken. The horn works fine, its just that the button is not completing the circuit because the copper piece is broken.

I could spend about $150 and fix it...but I think I'm just going to put an alternate horn button in.

Thanks again...Jacob

Back