Punto GT, TJet

Currently reading:
Punto GT, TJet

Obviously I have no intention of doing this, but how feasible would it likely be to setup the GP 1.4tjet engine into a Punto GT shell?

I'd imagine it would make for a nice comparision against an original Punto GT1, in a drag race atleast. If the T-Jet engine can get the GPS to 60 in around 8.9, surely the lower weight of the Punto GT would keep it level pegging with a standard GT, or possibly even beat it? I believe official GT figures were 7.7 in the 0-60?

Discuss!:) (and someone get the transplant done:p)

Why would u want to take a 130bhp engine out of a gt a replace it with a 120bhp engine, it would be slower :confused: And a gt engine will see more power modded as well.

Not strictly true. The T-jets are comming out the factory with 130bhp+ . It wouldn't be slower as there is a lot less turbo lag and more torque due to the more modern engine design, better turbo and 16v head. And who knows what modding potential there is as its a new engine!. There is also the reliability issues with the 1.4 8v Turbo.

Last edited:
There is also the reliability issues with the 1.4 8v Turbo.

That point alone would be enough to warrant the conversion in my opinion (y)

If I could afford to keep my old GT (currently sat on the driveway doing nothing) then I would be tempted to go down the conversion route.

Last edited:
According to parkers the t-jet has 6 nm more torque than the gt which is nothing. As for reliability, my gt ran around 170bhp for 2 years and 20,00 miles from 60,000 to 80,000 miles and never had a single engine problem. If u have got the money big power aint a problem with a gt. Yes the t-jet is a new engine and it will take time to get the best out off them, but only time will tell if it is as good as the old turbo fire engine. The main thing the would be the cost, why not just use the money to get the best out of the good engine a gt already has.

Last edited:
According to parkers the t-jet has 6 nm more torque than the gt which u is nothing. As for reliability, my gt ran around 170bhp for 2 years and 20,00 miles from 60,000 to 80,000 miles and never had a single engine problem. If u have got the money big power aint a problem with a gt. Yes the t-jet is a new engine and it will take time to get the best out off them, but only time will tell if it is as good as the old turbo fire engine. The main thing the would be the cost, why not just use the money to get the best out of the good engine a gt already has.

For a start the GT engine was not a fire engine the T-jet is the first Turbo'd fire engine direct from Fiat. The GT engine is a smaller bore turbo'd version of the rubbish 1.6 8v OHC used in the older sporting and cabrio. Everyone knows how good that engine was :rolleyes:.

Even if parkers figures were true (which they aren't) there exactly that Figures, they don't mean anything. You also got to take into consideration power to weight, turbo lag, power and torque delivery, gear ratio's and many more.

As for reliability you have been damn lucky I know of 3 GT's within a 15mile radius of me 2 of them that are having engines rebuilt. However there are discrepancies between the GT1,2,3 some are bad others aren't its a luck of the draw.

worst thing about the GT was the crappy 1.4 8v with its ancient technology, terrible efficiency. the T-Jet is far superior, so much so that the mk1 punto doesnt deserve a T-Jet imo.

anything is possible so this conversion can be done, but it would be no easier than fitting an engine from another brand such as a ford or peugeot engine, you'd be starting from scratch with everything because the T-Jet isnt a newer version of the 1372cc engine used in the GT, or even a relative of any engine used in the mk1 punto range, its a completely different engine.

while we're on the subject, i believe the T-Jet is based on the same 1368cc block used in the mk2b punto sporting, so sticking a T-Jet in a mk2 or mk2b punto should be much easier.

neither the mk1 or mk2 is a good choice for the T-Jet imo, both are too flexible with poor suspension geometry.

Last edited:
while we're on the subject, i believe the T-Jet is based on the same 1368cc block used in the mk2b punto sporting, so sticking a T-Jet in a mk2 or mk2b punto should be much easier.

Exactly right. Just different gearbox, ecu, conrods and pistons too I believe :chin:

And I don't care if it will handle like crap I STILL want to do it.

Last edited:
The GT engine is a smaller bore turbo'd version of the rubbish 1.6 8v OHC used in the older sporting and cabrio. Everyone knows how good that engine was :rolleyes:.

the 1.4 wasn't too bad in the tipo putting out a whapping 76bhp with the weber carb. which was pretty good for the time. in fact i didn't have a single problem with the engine. though in i.e. form power was down to 70bhp.

but then it is an old engine originating in the 128 from the sixties having been designed by Aurelio Lampredi who designed some notable ferrari V12's in the 50's. it has a reverse flow cylinder head, only 8 valves and its got a cast iron block. which isn't great. but then at least its not a pushrod(y)

so to be fair it is a good engine. but it was at the end of its life when new emissions regulations came in effectively stopping the use of carburettors. which was before the punto.

someones gotta put a tjet in a punto:slayer:

Lampredi also designed the twin cam engine that was used in so many Fiats (and Lancias) from the mid 60's to the mid 90's. He was also responsible for the 130 V6 engine.

Troy.

Back