Technical Marea won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Marea won't start

Dwight

headgasket went on my 1998 Marea 1.8 16v,done the gasket,changed cam belt etc,after sitting during the rebuild the car battery went flat,put new battery in it,car did start and then would n't.No Spark but getting fuel,have both keys red and blue and the yellow code light goes out while spinning the engine.Mechanic reckons either Cam Sensor or Crank Sensor to be reason for no spark-Would this be correct?Which one of these supplies the spark.Thanks.Mark

Crank position sensor needs only a slight tap for it to start acting up. Could be that whislt doing the cambelt it's taken a slight knock. Would explain the non starting even after managing to start once or twice.

Also welcome to FF.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,it was the camshaft sensor at the cam pulleys,it was the only area we tampered with.Easier to change than the crank sensor too.

and after all that,skimming the head etc The Head Gasket seems to be away again after 50 miles of running.

I have a Marea weekend that is very cantankerous. Even with a fully charged battery will or will not start. Works well for weeks then nothing. Even a 4 day visit to a Fiat garage was an expensive waste of time. Went to a electrics person and he disconected the radio and it worked perfectly for months. Sometimes the doors won't lock if you do it from the drivers side, BUT if you lock it from the passenger side ok!!!!!!!! Now it won't start at all engine just won't turn over. I am a community nurse and really need my car, can't afford a new one please can someone suggest something thank you

The door locking is a contact issue on that side. Not hard to fix but if you are not able to do it yourself it would be expensive in time to pay for it so maybe best to just live with it. Failing to turn over at all is another matter, is there life in the battery? Can you turn on the headlights and see they are reasonably bright? When you turn the key is there a "click" from the solenoid? If you have an interior light on does it dim or go out when you turn they key?

Now it won't start at all engine just won't turn over.
when you say "wont turn over" do you mean the starter motor is not turning the engine when you try to start it? if that is the case it will usually be due to a flat battery or a faulty starter motor.
if the battery is flat, and you replace it then it goes flat again, the alternator is the problem.

Lights appear OK, Battery is charged, can't hear a click, interior light dims when starting engine then goes bright again. Alternator was changed on the visit to the fiat dealer. It is odd that I can be using it in the morning, fails to start when I next get into the car. then a few hours later when I try it it starts!!!!!

Lights appear OK, Battery is charged, can't hear a click, interior light dims when starting engine then goes bright again. Alternator was changed on the visit to the fiat dealer. It is odd that I can be using it in the morning, fails to start when I next get into the car. then a few hours later when I try it it starts!!!!!

That tells us a lot, the problem is almost certainly electrical and may be the starter solenoid, starter motor or if you are lucky an intermittent high resistance in the circuit. I would start here cleaning all the high current connections.
edit the solenoid may be driven via a relay from the ignition switch, and it would be worth finding that one and plugging and unplugging it, thats has fixed some electrcals on my car(or even swapping it 4 a new one)

Last edited:
i agree, it sound like a short in the starter motor circuit. have you noticed if it seems to be related to engine temperature?

Last edited:
Back